Hamer Sunburst USA 1980

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamer Sunburst USA 1980

As a fan of Martin Barre I wanted a Hamer just like the guitar he used in the Slipstream video.

Well, I didn't quite get one like that (no crown inlays or neck binding) but I did finally get something VERY close! The story is, I had a ton of old pickups in my "Parts box" and some cheaper guitars that don't get much use, so I thought I'd sell them all and buy something nice like a Slash Victoria Les Paul with the money. Over the years I've been looking for a USA Sunburst but living in Scotland they never come up for sale and on the odd occasion they do they are really expensive. Now, I do a podcast called Rock, Paper, Swords and we were due to interview Ian Anderson so I looked on the local listings on the Friday before it and....there was a USA Sunburst for sale just an hour away from me! It was fate that I get it!
    The seller was looking for £1000 but I got it for £800 the next day and I couldn't be happier. All original, the Dimarzio pickups sound amazing and, once I touched up the large number of pretty major dings with some nail polish it's just gorgeous and plays great!
    You can see it here with the drawing Subanots/Stonabus did for me.

BTW I did ask Ian about his old Hamer but he didn't say if he still has it. He bought a brand new headless Steinberger guitar to use on the new album RokFlote because he likes 'em small! Here's the interview if you'd like to hear it, it's well worth it... https://spotifyanchor-web.app.link/e/YIjl0h7m9zb
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230429_232653.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	6234825
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230429_232708.jpg Views:	0 Size:	98.3 KB ID:	6234826
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230429_233137.jpg Views:	0 Size:	68.3 KB ID:	6234827

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230429_132921.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	6234832

Last edited by Wolfshead; 05-27-2023, 01:51 PM.
    My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
    MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
    Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Sorry, I don't know why the pictures are so blurry, they're HD on my laptop but uploading them is making them really bad quality.

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
    MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.

Comment

Worked for a Hamer dealer for a while those US guitars are very nice. Congrats on that one it's a cool guitar!
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Congrats on the Hamer score.

I picked up an all original ‘78 Hamer Black Sunburst Bound & Crowned a few years ago at a pawnshop for
        $180.

I owned it for about 2 months and ended up selling it to Hamer forum member, who flew into town to pick it up.

I had it professionally set up, but I couldn’t bond with it.

The neck was way too skinny and the tuners were too loose and it wouldn’t stay in tune.

I didn’t want to mod it because of loosing value..

The only thing I liked about the guitar, were the pickups.

They sounded amazing and I really wanted to keep them, but the buyer would only buy and give me top dollar if it was all original.

Here’s a couple of pics.

Name:	3E9CAB7D-AEA0-48CA-B4C0-C6BFE557FAE4.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	6234911

Name:	8D244F52-B52C-44FD-BF22-F3D935A00970.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	6234912

Comment

love me some hamer guitars! have a chapparel, daytona, and monaco elite. always on the look out for a good deal on one

Comment

So the difference to a Hamer Special is just the binding? …and of course the Sunburst label on the headstock.
            Last edited by hamerfan; 05-28-2023, 12:58 PM.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Maye I'm just an idiot, but what makes that guitar a sunburst? It just looks black to me. Nice guitar, regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                Maye I'm just an idiot, but what makes that guitar a sunburst? It just looks black to me. Nice guitar, regardless.
                Its a Hamer Sunburst not a sunburst.

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post

Its a Hamer Sunburst not a sunburst.
                  So it's named sunburst, but it's not a sunburst. Who was the genius in marketing that came up with that? That sounds like something idiotic that Gibson would do.

Comment

Read here

Comment

I've always liked Hamers, have an 87 Chappie Custom that I've logged over 100,000 miles with, stage and studio, wish they were still a viable company...

Comment

Originally posted by Texsunburst59 View Post
                        Congrats on the Hamer score.

I picked up an all original ‘78 Hamer Black Sunburst Bound & Crowned a few years ago at a pawnshop for
                        $180.

I owned it for about 2 months and ended up selling it to Hamer forum member, who flew into town to pick it up.

I had it professionally set up, but I couldn’t bond with it.

The neck was way too skinny and the tuners were too loose and it wouldn’t stay in tune.

I didn’t want to mod it because of loosing value..

The only thing I liked about the guitar, were the pickups.

They sounded amazing and I really wanted to keep them, but the buyer would only buy and give me top dollar if it was all original.
                        Ha, I've seen that one. I Googled a lot on these guitars and I remember reading about you getting this. It looks amazing, I wish mine was bound and crowned but I guess playability is the main thing and if yours didn't stay in tune it wasn't worth holding onto. I must admit I think the neck on mine is quite chunky but it's probably just the shape as it does feel slim after playing one of my Les Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

So it's named sunburst, but it's not a sunburst. Who was the genius in marketing that came up with that? That sounds like something idiotic that Gibson would do.
                          Hahaha, I agree with you. I think originally these WERE all sunburst finishes, hence the name, but it confused me for a long time why black guitars were named that.

Comment

Gorgeous guitar. Not crazy about the position of the 3-way, but I could live with it for everything else.

Comment

Cool guitar! -all of the Hamers Ive owned (3) had fretboard binding (even the low end import one) -I short of assumed that was a Hamer standard -I guess not.... looks like a great one either way
                              Last edited by NegativeEase; 05-29-2023, 03:18 PM.
                              “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                              X