Finally a Dean I like...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally a Dean I like...

Dean Exile. Rather plain, but I like the graceful, narrower than usual horns.

Note the absence of a ridiculous headstock.

You misspelled awesome headstock lol
    https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
      You misspelled awesome headstock lol
      I'd go spear fishing with it before I played a guitar with it.

Loved Dime. His guitars looked cheesy.

Comment

I like that guitar as well, but I wouldn't buy one (not a Floyd guy).

I like the Dean headstock, personally. But I've never owned one. I bet it would be a tuning stability nighmare, LOL. But then again, so is the Gibson headstock as well, and I'm fine with mine.

Comment

I bet it would be a tuning stability nightmare

I've had 4 and currently own 2. None of them have had tuning problems because peghead shapes have nothing to do with tuning stability. The problem is incorrectly cut slots in the nut, and so many people never even think to have it done by a competent and experienced luthier.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

I've had 4 and currently own 2. None of them have had tuning problems because peghead shapes have nothing to do with tuning stability. The problem is incorrectly cut slots in the nut, and so many people never even think to have it done by a competent and experienced luthier.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This right here. Of all the jobs in luthiery, I'd say nut slotting, saddle work (for acoustics), and fretwork are the most difficult, aside from paint and whatnot.

With the emphasis on nut slots I'm guessing you both are meaning non-Floyded guitars here. Glad all I have to worry about is finding R8 Floyd nuts (.225" height).

Comment

I guess? I've never had a guitar with nut issues so bad that a good set of tuners didn't fix.

My Gibson has a factory Graphtech nut, and it doesn't look poorly cut. Some tuners perform better than others in it, tho. That's why I never believed that a nut is more often than not the cause for tuning stability problems. At least not in my experience. Swapping a standard cheapy nut for a Graphtech has never fixed my tuning issues and swapping good tuners from stock crappy ones has even if the nut is the plain old stock one.
              Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 10-10-2023, 07:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
                Dean Exile. Rather plain, but I like the graceful, narrower than usual horns.

Note the absence of a ridiculous headstock.

I have a guitar with that headstock and its too long to fit in every case i own. I did take a chunk out of an skb economy case so it would fit.

Its a lame headstock because its too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  I guess? I've never had a guitar with nut issues so bad that a good set of tuners didn't fix.

My Gibson has a factory Graphtech nut, and it doesn't look poorly cut. Some tuners perform better than others in it, tho. That's why I never believed that a nut is more often than not the cause for tuning stability problems. At least not in my experience. Swapping a standard cheapy nut for a Graphtech has never fixed my tuning issues and swapping good tuners from stock crappy ones has.
                  I had a Chinese made Hamer Scarab with a black plastic nut stock. It was fine with 9 gauge strings in standard tuning.

Once you went to 10 on the G string it sounded like a sitar. Had to have a new nut put on.

They're not made anymore. This is the one that has my Gibson 57 Classic Plus and 498t in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

I have a guitar with that headstock and its too long to fit in every case i own. I did take a chunk out of an skb economy case so it would fit.

Its a lame headstock because its too long.
                    Coffin cases should handle just about anything. I just don't like lugging them around.

Comment

Coffin cases should handle just about anything. I just don't like lugging them around.
                      Go big or go home. A superstrat that doesnt fit in any strat cases is lame. Might as well get an explorer or ml if you are getting a special case.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

Go big or go home. A superstrat that doesnt fit in any strat cases is lame. Might as well get an explorer or ml if you are getting a special case.
                        I'd prefer an Explorer to this: Floyded 25.5". Or a star. It's just a rare example of a Dean I like.

Racks on wheels that touring acts use are even bigger. One on casters that holds 12-14 guitars cost me $150. The Hercules ones hold around 10 but they only enclose 5 neck yokes with it and make you buy the rest. That's lame too.

Comment

I own an inexpensive 6-in line headstock Dean. It is neon yellow, and a cool guitar.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

With the emphasis on nut slots I'm guessing you both are meaning non-Floyded guitars here.
                            No - I mean all of 'em. Floyd locking nuts just make it harder to do. None of them are made to the precision needed. It's always a compromise with a Floyd, and that sucks.

As for Mr. Rocker's post... So much wrong to unpack. Or he's just lucky.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I'd go spear fishing with it before I played a guitar with it.

Loved Dime. His guitars looked cheesy.
                              Not a huge dinner fan myself, but I think these headstocks are big and beautiful!
                              It's like having a baby flying V on the end! Ha ha ha.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize_20231010_221930_0981.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	6252815
                              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                              X