Epi IBG 335 - brand new...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epi IBG 335 - brand new...

I have been thinking of working on a guitar, maybe getting an older Gibson Tribute to mod... but I saw these today...

Wow... the price is high for an EPI ($1299) but these are about as close as you can get to a Gibson Custom 335:

Ebony board
    Binding
    Open-book headstock
    Real MOP inlays
    Gibson bridge and tailpiece
    CTS pots, Mallory caps
    Gibson Custom Buckers
    Hardshell case

AND, it has huge Alex Lifeson vibes!!!!!! GRRRR...... I might have to do this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5fb50c9e6akljwaEg8HxoXkHovojeUKRwsLOMYKF.wm-lh.jpg?quality=82&height=750&ha=5fb50c9e6a01ded2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	6275864
    -=The Dali
    --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

That's a pretty sweet Epi, but an awful lot of money.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It is some serious cash, but I mean... when you look at the specs and you see an equivalent Gibson is $6000... it makes some sense.
      -=The Dali

Comment

Those things go thru the Custom Shop in Nashville before going out to stores. Lance Lopez just got a Firebird from that line from them. His beloved Gibson Firebird was broken on a flight. He had nothing but great things to say about the Epi Firebird. His Gibson will be fixed, no doubt.

Comment

I just sold an Epi Dot Studio I bought some time back that I just wasn't getting along with anymore, and used that money to help buy an Epi 335-IG. It's got the better pickups, better electronics, etc. It's more a standard style, and playing it next to the $4k Gibson I certainly couldn't justify that!

The main difference is the finish. Poly just feels different than the lacquer. Other than that, they really do much the same things.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
          Originally posted by Securb
          The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Going through the CS before stores...colour me skeptical - probably reserved for artists only or perhaps the guitars in the Nasvhille Garage get a once-over before being put on the floor.

Overall, these CS inspired guitars do look great visually and have some nice appointments but the 1-2k bracket is very competitive. Unless you absolutely have to have a vintage style Firebird, 355 or whatever. I'd hope the build quality is impeccable.

Indeed, some of the comparative pricing is a bit 'eh?' - the new '64 Thunderbird is $849, and in terms of overall build/spec it is basically the same as the Firebirds, apart from having oem pups, pearloid dots, and a soft case.

Indeed, Gibson have also been clever by not having some models in the standard USA line, so your choice is these Epiphones or CS. Thus, you cannot buy a new standard USA Firebird anymore. This and the relentless marketing they've been pouring $ into in recent years is all part of their cultivation of the buyer. Of course, this is where things seem to be going more broadly in guitar - the end goal is arguably having USA guitars as a high premium, smaller output thing, while the rest will be imports.

Anyway, I have no particular horse in this race, just my impressions.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Agree on the custom shop thing... that seems unlikely.

Yes, I think they are creating a structure...

$4000+ Custom Shop
              $2500 - $4000 Gibson USA (standard, custom)
              $1700 - $2500 Gibson Studio
              $1000 - $1700 Inspired by Gibson, Epiphone Custom
              $600 - $1000 Inspired by Gibson, Epiphone
              $200 - $600 - Epiphone
              Under $250 Maestro

Something like that. And getting rid of the Tributes and lower-tier Studios allows them to reposition the "Upper Epi" line.

-=The Dali

Comment

Working...
              X