NGD:My cheapest Ibanez axe yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD:My cheapest Ibanez axe yet!

Well I have a Prestige & Premium's and a bunch of other mid-tier ones but what was missing from my collection was something from the bottom of the barrel.. ie. a GIO.

I always wanted to pick one up...but (until now) the one's I've come across have always looked a bit tacky tbh..

Yesterdays trip to my neighbourhood guitar store remedied that

This one actually caught my eye on the rack where it was mixed up w/ a bunch of much higher end guitar's...not gonna lie but it stood out for being a looker..simple but elegant & yes..classy

I was shocked & pleasantly suprised to see that it was a Gio & it really did look f'n SWEET.. But the best was yet to come. As soon as I plugged it in I realized I had a serious player on my hands...it really played like butter and what's more it did'nt sound half bad either.

NOTHING makes me happier than coming across a cheapo that plays and sounds like this one does. Action was fast and low. Neck super comfy, fit and finish = perfect ..stayed in tune shockingly well...even with the Fender-style tremolo and some pretty heavy dive-bombing. Could'nt resist it & for >$250 I'd have to be off my rocker to have even tried (not that I did at all )..

And of course the all important PLAYING test​:

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Ibanez GSA60-BS

Specs: Electric Guitar
    • Body: Okoume
    • Neck: Maple
    • Fretboard: Purple Heart
    • Fretboard inlays: White dots
    • Scale: 648 mm
    • Nut width: 42 mm
    • Fretboard radius: 305 mm
    • Frets: 22 Medium
    • Pickups: 2 Infinity RS single coils (neck and middle) & 1 Infinity R humbucker (bridge)
    • Volume and tone controls
    • 5-Way switch
    • Tremolo: T102
    • Bridge: SAT10
    • Hardware: Chrome
    • Colour: Brown Sunburst
    • Suitable cases available under Article no. 212516 and 157642 (both are not included)

30 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
    3 3-Year Thomann Warranty

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

And for reference ...here's my clip of the same track (full song) that I just recorded through the same rig yesterday w/ my Charvel Traditional Pro (Custom 5 bridge). Same amp/amp settings/ mic/mic positioning everything except for switching the guitar

I think the GIO stands up just fine...both in terms of playability & tone-wise

Oh yeah but one big difference is the squeelies though. While the Charvel/Custom 5 is my go to axe/pup for pinch harmonics (none more squealy) . The bridge pup in the GIO was near impossible to get a squeal out of (?) . I'm hoping a bit of pup angle adjustment or something will help fix that.... or maybe I need to adjust my pick angle in some weird way ...in any case that was the only bummer...
      Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 05-12-2024, 10:30 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Congrats on that find.

I am surprised at how good the inexpensive guitars are getting these days.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Nothing wrong with any of the extensive lines of GIO's Ibanez is marketing right now.

A couple years back I spotted a GAX 50 Gio on Squeebay, and the seller was a pawn shop 2 blocks from my place. I asked the seller if I could forego paying shipping if I won. He said sure. I got a nice guitar a little beat up for the stunningly low price of $42.... Brought it home and immediately removed the pair of Duncan Invaders and resold them locally to a guy I knew would like them. Easy $100.

I've used the husk as a platform for several different pickups, including some single coil Lace Sensors. It plays nice, and always sounds good. Plus - it's heavy as hell. The maple/rosewood neck is a bolt-on, so if I wanted to get real crazy with it - I could.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Summer Fun 008.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	6278613
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Sweet...$42 can't be beat

The least I ever paid for a guitar was $130 or so for my AXL LP copy (awesome axe btw), but it was brand new.

This one convert's to $215 (also new) ...I mean that's nuts for how good it looks sounds and plays

Did the GAX come w/ stock Invaders? Either way I would'nt have minded a deal like that lol..

Youtube

Comment

Yes. I didn't tell the pawn shop guys it was worth more.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Well here's all 3 of my SA's:

The dyed burl one was the most expensive (not normally a fan of that look but this one looks kinda funky/quirky) then the flame top & then, last but not least the humble Gio burst.

They're a pretty looking bunch though & all of them play like butter/sound awesome

Youtube

Comment

Inlove me Ibby goodness

And that S-Style body, mmmmmmm

I got two RGs that are awesome

So do you plan any mods?

Pickups?

Locking tuners?
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

You know I actually bought a pack of Planet waves locking tuners along w/ the axe yesterday...cuz ..but so far I'm not sure it needs them. It stays in tune incredibly well w/o any nut lube or anything. Now I'm afraid to mess w/ the mojo

Tuners and hardware do feel solid & of better quailty than one would expect at this price...

If I can get the bridge pup to do better (easier) squeelies then again, I'm loving the tone as it is so I'm not sure if I should rock the boat there either. I do have a new '59 bridge pup I can use as well as a Tone Zone and a bunch of EMG's if needed....but again , when I pick up an axe like this that just feels "right" out of the box I am loathe to mess w/ things...cuz it has that magic mojo

Anyway...
                    '
                    Tone Comparison through the same setup/settings etc of all my three SA's (the SA's are "S"s" with a bit more body wood on them. They're flat at the back w/ just a bit of a belly cut unlike the rounded/contoured backs that normal Sabre's have)

To my ears the GIO lacks for nothing both playing & tone-wise (just those damn squeals )

Youtube

Comment

Last budget friendly ibanez I played had
                      fret sprouts and Neck binding coming off

I assume this isn't the case for yours

Do you plan to roll the fretboard edges?
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Nah, that' the fun thing. This one played as good as my Prestige when i plugged it in at the shop and checked it out ( pretty thoroughly) . NO sharp edges & no fret sprout/dead spots. It's got a nice robust full sound/tone to it. The pups are the usual cheapie ones you find on lower end guitars (w/ the two rows of slugs) but I'll be damned if they don't sound awesome in there..

The Purpleheart fretboard looks sweet/different than usual and actually has a purplish tint to it + some really nice grain/streaks..

Youtube

Comment

I think my next video will be a shootout between my RG652 AHM NGB Prestige & this kickass Gio

Youtube

Comment

Just remembered I also have a Duncan Custom bridge in my parts drawer. That might be a good fit for this guitar w/o changing the present tone much (cuz it's ceramic & sounds pretty similar) and it might fix the squealie problem

If I do end up switching pups then I might as well go the whole hog and switch to the locking tuners as well..

Youtube

Comment

GIO Vs Prestige

Tone-wise they're different, but they both sound equally nice to me.

And yes..the Gio "plays" every bit as well as the Prestige...it is greased lightning

I actually find little to no difference as far as fit/finish/fretwork goes either...

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X