• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Gio's neck pup squeals nicely...but still no luck with the bridge
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

And here's my JEM WDP77 "Woody" Premium for the sake of completeness..

It's just a hair out of tune cuz I did'nt tune it up first

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Couple of Jams w/ my Randall T2

Bridge (managed a squealie!):

Neck:

This thing resonates and feels "alive" in your hands when you play it & the sustain is nuts too

This why I much prefer buying from an actual store rather than online ..you get to try before you buy. Makes a HUGE difference

Sure you can get lucky and get yourself a gem online.....but this way it's guaranteed.

From the moment I first plugged into this baby I knew it was going to kick all kinds of ass...cuz MoJo - (has nothing to do w/ price)
        Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 05-04-2024, 08:37 PM.

Youtube

Comment

A cheap Ibz that turns out well is very satisfying. I have an Ergodyne - the first guitar model they did in the second half of the 90s - which is equivalent to a Gio in terms of appointments, but is a cool guitar. In some ways it's a poor person's Radius (with an aanj). Some people may balk at the luthite (plastic) body but whatever, I don't think it matters; to me sounds like guitar *shrugs*.
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I bought myself a made in Korea 2008 Ibanez SZ520 last year and it became my number one after a pickup swap. Different than other Ibanez with set neck and 25" scale length. Playing better than my Gibson LP.

Makes me want to get an S series Ibanez. But I have enough guitar...

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
              I bought myself a made in Korea 2008 Ibanez SZ520 last year and it became my number one after a pickup swap. Different than other Ibanez with set neck and 25" scale length. Playing better than my Gibson LP.

Makes me want to get an S series Ibanez. But I have enough guitar...
              Nice, I've never played one of those. They do belong to the Sabre family but are even further removed from the original S design....like an S meets PRS or LP or something. Still,I'd like to try one someday if opportunity knocks..

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
              A cheap Ibz that turns out well is very satisfying. I have an Ergodyne - the first guitar model they did in the second half of the 90s - which is equivalent to a Gio in terms of appointments, but is a cool guitar. In some ways it's a poor person's Radius (with an aanj). Some people may balk at the luthite (plastic) body but whatever, I don't think it matters; to me sounds like guitar *shrugs*.
              Cool. I did'nt realise those were plastic (not that I care). They do look pretty sweet though. What kind of tremolo is that on them?

Youtube

Comment

I'm kind of on the fence about swapping out the bridge pup in the Gio, On the one hand, it is'nt really nessesary...on the other. I like my squealies....

But I'm tempted to give the Custom a try. It seems to sound a lot like the stock pup (which is a great sound/fit for this axe. It may be a cheap POS but it sounds fantastic).

Also my soldering skills which were never great anyway have really gone to the dogs lately (cuz deteriorating eyesight). I have botched up all my recent soldering efforts (Kramer Pacer, Aria pro) and will have to redo the bad connections/cold solder joints on those axes.. so the thought of going at it again with the GSA is'nt very appealing , especially if it's not nessesry (which it really is'nt if I'm to be honest)

Youtube

Comment

I think I'll just keep it stock.. I mean, it lacks for nothing tone-wise ..so why mess w/ it?

Pop-rock w/ my Ironheart Studio/ Laney Eminence 2x12 cab (Manowar + Swamp Thang)

I even coaxed a squeal or two out of it

Youtube

Comment

No more squeelie problem. I adjusted the pup angle a hair & now the squeals are popping nicely

Same setup as above ...but in the context of Epic metal ala Virgin Steele \m/

Squeals like a pig!

Ok..so it's still no Custom 5 ...but the squeals are there now

Youtube

Comment

Btw all those unfortunates w/ tin/caulilower ear/tone-deaf etc. pls excuse all the atonal/mechanical tunelessness you're "hearing" in this thread

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                        Cool. I did'nt realise those were plastic (not that I care). They do look pretty sweet though. What kind of tremolo is that on them?
                        The model I have is the EDR 260, which is the first guitar one. The trem on that is the TZ 30, just a normal 2 point type. When they went to HSH, they variously had a TRS II, EP II, and FAT for the non-locking version. In 2005 they switched to wood for the guitars (agathis, I think), so luthite was 1997-2004. It's kinda hard finding info on this initial model, and several things seem to be different, like a slim C neck, shockingly small frets.

Ergodyne basses were more prolific overall. Afaik the only other luthite guitar Ibanez made was the JS 10th; they tried making them out of wood but gave up because the movement would crinkle up the chrome paint, while luthite, of course, didn't.
                        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

They're pretty nice looking guitars. How does your's play play & sound?

I thought I'd throw in a Sabre for a GSA/Sabre comparison. This one has the stock Dmz/Ibz pups...

Youtube

Comment

I was using my least expensive Ibanez in the studio this weekend. I think outside of some odd duck stuff it is my least expensive guitar overall. I paid $350 used for it on Fleabay

Comment

Nice! These can be really well-made instruments. I have an Indo SA-120 that I bought used on the forum years ago, and it's a fantastic playing guitar and so comfortable. The neck is a real nice thin C. I keep hoping they'll bring back the GSA/SA series.

That Roadstar is rad, too. I'd be all over a reissue or modern version of that line.

Comment

Securb's RS525 is a good 'un; I have the all blacked out version meself, fun guitar, very comfortable and pretty aggressive sounding.

As for reissues, yeah, that would be nice, in the Genesis line. Closest we got was a stupidly expensive 1 of 1 Hoshino USA 50th version two years ago: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/JPCS6 . I don't see them doing it, partly because the AZ and RG cover those bases nowadays. Maybe if some artist came out with all guns blazing ripping on one, they'd bring them back. I know Pablo G is playing them a bit on his Instagram, but live it's Firemen and PGMs still.

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                                They're pretty nice looking guitars. How does your's play play & sound?
                                It plays not well at all because those dinky frets have been played to nothing in places , and the tuners are shot. But I got it as a project, and the fact that it's worn out suggested to me someone/s kept going back to it. I'm gonna put jumbos on it. My rationale was that I mostly paid for the SH5, and a 540R is kinda $$ these days.

It's got a fairly beefy sound and good sustain; volume balance between all the pups is really good, and the single coils are fine, bit warmer maybe than an alnico rod type. Putting in a nice audio taper pot and 50s wiring was transformative - less harsh sounding, especially when turning down.

Comment

Working...
                                X