NGD:My cheapest Ibanez axe yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
    Securb's RS525 is a good 'un; I have the all blacked out version meself, fun guitar, very comfortable and pretty aggressive sounding.

As for reissues, yeah, that would be nice, in the Genesis line. Closest we got was a stupidly expensive 1 of 1 Hoshino USA 50th version two years ago: https://ibanez.fandom.com/wiki/JPCS6 . I don't see them doing it, partly because the AZ and RG cover those bases nowadays. Maybe if some artist came out with all guns blazing ripping on one, they'd bring them back. I know Pablo G is playing them a bit on his Instagram, but live it's Firemen and PGMs still.

It plays not well at all because those dinky frets have been played to nothing in places , and the tuners are shot. But I got it as a project, and the fact that it's worn out suggested to me someone/s kept going back to it. I'm gonna put jumbos on it. My rationale was that I mostly paid for the SH5, and a 540R is kinda $$ these days.

It's got a fairly beefy sound and good sustain; volume balance between all the pups is really good, and the single coils are fine, bit warmer maybe than an alnico rod type. Putting in a nice audio taper pot and 50s wiring was transformative - less harsh sounding, especially when turning down.
    I've gassed for one of those old Roadster's for years. They are great sounding & playing guitars. Just really difficult to come across locally anywhere. And thanks to exhorbitant customs costs/ shipping charges local is the only way to go for me these days..

Are'nt the necks/fretboards on the Ergodyne wood? Or are those Luthite too? I guess a Luthite neck would make re-fretting a bit problematic?

Yeah I was surprised at how full sounding and meaty the singles in this GSA were too. Often the cheap ones sound really thin/anemic w/ bugger-all output, either that, or they're just over bassy/muddy.

But these ones sing
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Securb's RS525 is a good 'un; I have the all blacked out version meself, fun guitar, very comfortable and pretty aggressive sounding.
      Super aggressive I dropped a Black Winter in the bridge. I also had the blacked out one in the 90's regretting selling it and found this wine colored one.

Comment

Here's one w/ my old faithful battle-hardened shred/tonemeister...my '94 Ibanez S540LTD Sabre (bought ne in '94). Still sounds and plays like a ****ing dream after all the years of shredmageddon

It's loaded w/ Sounds of Sin "7th Sin" handwound A4 "Sinbucker's" (yep...a whole lotta Sin) that are greased lightning (+ tone for days)

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Super aggressive I dropped a Black Winter in the bridge. I also had the blacked out one in the 90's regretting selling it and found this wine colored one.
          Purple Haze! I put a 59/Jazz in the neck position of mine and she's dandy. Maybe it's the massive bridge; kinda useless as a trem but probably does something to the sound.

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

I've gassed for one of those old Roadster's for years. They are great sounding & playing guitars. Just really difficult to come across locally anywhere. And thanks to exhorbitant customs costs/ shipping charges local is the only way to go for me these days..

Are'nt the necks/fretboards on the Ergodyne wood? Or are those Luthite too? I guess a Luthite neck would make re-fretting a bit problematic?

Yeah I was surprised at how full sounding and meaty the singles in this GSA were too. Often the cheap ones sound really thin/anemic w/ bugger-all output, either that, or they're just over bassy/muddy.

But these ones sing
          Yeah, they're great, I should've also got more when nobody cared about them. Prices are pretty daft for some models, but $500-600 in the current market is ok. Actually, someone on Reverb is selling an '86 RG425 for $100; it's one of the rarer models too.

It's wood, the usual combo. Shape is a slim C; I like it, and once the new frets are in (jumbo, of course), it'll be very good. I still don't know what the fretboard radius is - another difference from later ones, I think -, very much rounder than what you'd see on this kind of guitar from Ibanez, more like a Gibson.

The old Powersound single coils are built like P90s, they have two small ceramic rail mags underneath on either side of the slugs, wound to about 5.5k. I guess whatever they're using now is similar?
          Originally posted by dominus
          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Sometimes you get stupidly good deals on Reverb, but it's pretty rare. I got my Charvel Traditional Pro (MIJ, early 2000's) for $350 ($475 shipped to India). It was NOS/absolutely untouched/stillin it's box/packing w/ three Duncans in it. Thing plays like a dream. As sweet a deal as there ever was

No idea what kinda mag are in these powersounds. But they are nice and big/fat sounding.I really like them.

And I forgot to record that ^^ last video w/ my S540 onto a stereo track so I guess the two mics got mixed down to a mono track..

Here's a stereo version like the other video's..

My biggest regret is not getting some more of those SIN pickups. His EVH-type ones were especially mind-blowing..

Youtube

Comment

Maybe it's the massive bridge; kinda useless as a trem but probably does something to the sound.
              Interesting I love that trem, granted it was my first trem so I might have gotten accustomed to playing it before spending considerable time with anything else.

Comment

Wuv sweet wuv w/ my GSA (neck single coil) & IRT studio/Eminence 2x12 cab (Jazz - deeply emotional, not mechanical/atonal/tuneless)

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post

Interesting I love that trem, granted it was my first trem so I might have gotten accustomed to playing it before spending considerable time with anything else.
                  I came from an Edge loaded guitar, so yeah . I do like having the fine tuners though, much more intuitive to tweak with the picking hand. Those pot metal t-nuts inside through which the intonation and saddle lock down screws pass are sketchy - yes, I broke some :P.

Apart from that the guitar has vibe and I'm happy I got it. I have others for trem use; this one is decked.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

My first Ibanez bridhge was the non-locking strat style (kinda) one on my DT250 Destroyer. It was ok I guess..held tune decently & worked for moderate abuse.

Then I got my S540 w/ it's Lo-pro Edge & it's still my ultimate tremolo bridge. OFR's be damned lol, I stopped playing for 5 years due to carpal tunnel problems and holy **** it was still in 100% perfect tune when I came back to it 5 years later, cruddy, rusty strings and all. Such a killer trem and pure wicked magic for da whammy trix.

Plus I'm sure the low profile helps w/ the picking speed/stability this axe is capable of helping a player to generate, making hyper insane shred a breeze

Youtube

Comment

But back to trippin' out emotionally w/ the GSA's middle pup

Don't know who else noticed but this axe sounds all round fantastic ..

And it plays beautifully too...don't know if they set it up at the store or it came this way from the factory but apart from raising the bridge pup a hair on the high E side (for the squeals)..I've had to do NOTHING to it since I got it and it's already up there with some of my fastest & best playing axes

Youtube

Comment

And fun tho it's been it's time to leave all the emotional , dreamy stuff behind & get back to what these axes were made for ..Shred-o-rama!

A speedfest of atonality, tunelessness and mechanicality for all those who struggle to hear things right (cuz tin/cauliflower-ear & tone deafness)

But otherwise just spot on pedal to the metal shred & sweetass epic melodies galore .

Trusty old S540 w/ the neck pup.

Youtube

Comment

And the same shredalicious outing w/ the GSA (neck single)

This axe keeps up

While resident maestro's have criticized my "following changes" (theory book mumbo jumbo) among so very many other things .

umm, I call jaded BS yet again ..cuz it's pretty obvious (to those unafflicted by tin/cauliflower ear/tone deafness) that I follow them just fine....tighter than a nun's **** in fact

Youtube

Comment

I exported that ^^ file at 32 bit's. Thought I'd try that since my interface (Steinberg UR44C) goes up to to 32 bits...

Could be my imagination but it does seem a bit more clear than usual (24 bits)

Youtube

Comment

More judicious following of changes (tightly) as prescribed by our resident maestro's who spend their every waking minute gaping intensely at pamphlets/books of theory (and playing nothing....at least nothing worth posting here ) much preferring instead to armchair criticize & take pot shots & retarded jabs at those who do

This one's w/ my flame-top SA (Rose "Mariposa" neck pup)....

Youtube

Comment

And for the sake of completeness..

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X