Painting a guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting a guitar

well i wanna do a simple paintjob on my old Ibanez i got off ebay last year. the thing sound really bad with my old rig, but my new amp brought it back to life. i jsut wnna do a simple flat color. i have this metalic chrome spray paint that i wanna use. i have a brush on primer that i was going to use because the gutiar is black. i was going to tape up the pickups, and the bridge and the lower part of the neck so i dont get ne paint on it. then i was jsut gonna spray paint it. i figured about 2 coats. Do you have any tips about painting and such?

Re: Painting a guitar

"music heals"
    facebook

Comment

thanx, ne1 else?

Comment

Your Ibanez likely has a polyester based finish, which dries very plastic-like. In that case, do just as JohnJohn suggested... disassemble, lightly scuff, primer. Personally, though, I'd much rather use a primer matched for the paint that I'm using.

That link curly gave you is a great step-by-step tutorial. I used it when I refinished my Ibanez.
        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Don't use a brush on primer...unless you're painting your house with it. They are cheap for 1 can of spray primer...since you are going with a silver (all those spray chromes look like silver) I'd use a contrasting primer. I learned form all my kandy repaints that using a light grey primer makes it hard to see where you missed as it's to close to silver. Schwinn used a red primer sealer under their silver base for the kandies...makes good sense. I'd go with a dark grey which may even pop the silver nicely. Take off all your parts too, it's not too hard and will look better. A clear coat will help keep the silver looking and lasting longer too.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
          Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
          Celestion speakers
          Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
          Too many pedals....

Comment

heres my problem, i tried to tpaint an old guitar and after i took it apart....it never went back the same, granted i know a little more now, i dont wanna take the risk, i can get some spray on primer, thats not a big deal, but if taping it up isn't gonna work, then i dont think im gonna bother, it's not worth riskin my only other guitar

Comment

If you can do a good job taping it, it will work. A bad tape job just looks bogus, but if you take your time and do it well, it should be fine. I like to take things apart when painting, but you don't HAVE to. Good luck.

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
              Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
              Celestion speakers
              Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
              Too many pedals....

Comment

Working...
              X