Speakers for Peavey classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speakers for Peavey classic?

Hey i hae a peavey classic 50 212 and im looking to replace my speakers, i really want to maintain a good claen sound with some headroom, but i also want to improve my overdrive. Im running a tele with a hotrails/a2p throung a crybaby into it, and imn looking for some good speakers at a reasonable price which are fairly versitile. The overdrive does get preference to the cleans though since i dont use them as much but i still do need good cleans. Im leabing towards a eminence V12 for one of them and im not sure on the other speaker. Thanks for any help. Brian.
    Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Re: Speakers for Peavey classic?

I have a Classic 50 410 with two Weber Blue Pups on top and two Weber Silver ten's on the bottom. I really like that combination in the Classic series amps, maybe try a Blue Dog and Silver Bell in your 212?

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

a blue dog might work.

how about those reissue greenbacks? from stevo's clips, they sound killer.
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

the blue dogs are a bit costly as are the greenbacks, im just a poor student lookign to garner as much smooth tone out of my peavey as possible. im gunna do a mod from blueguitar.com on the amp to reduce a bit of harshness from the lead channel as so as i get a 820pf cap, so im looking to preserve a nice distortion sound for heavy and classic rock, as well as a little punk and good cleans. The classic rock sound is most important however. Thanks, Brian.
        Last edited by bvc310; 06-01-2004, 07:57 PM.
        Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

I believe Jensen makes some decent speakers that are less expensive. I can't remember the model name, but they are supposed to be a recreation of the speakers in the old Fender Bassman amps. Those might work well in the Classic 50. I think you'll like that amp with the Blueguitar mods, I modded mine according to those specs, and it turned out pretty well. I modded mine to get a slightly warmer sound, so I adjusted a few of the recommended values. Not sure how good you are with electronics, but one cool trick you can do is install a pot to control the value of the slope resistor. The stock value is 68k, try installing a control that lets adjust it from 10k to 100k. This will actually shift the slope of the tone circuit...turn it up to get more emphasis on the highs, leave it in the middle for more mids, or turn it down for more bass. I just lowered mine a little bit to 56k, but I think I'm going to try the variable slope resistor trick one of these days. Most importantly though, don't just open up the amp and start poking around. Remember that tube amps can have potentially lethal voltages inside, even when they're turned off and unplugged. If you don't know how to properly discharge these voltages before working on the amp, take it to a tech and have him do the mods.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Originally posted by bvc310
            the blue dogs are a bit costly as are the greenbacks, im just a poor student lookign to garner as much smooth tone out of my peavey as possible. im gunna do a mod from blueguitar.com on the amp to reduce a bit of harshness from the lead channel as so as i get a 470pf cap, so im looking to preserve a nice distortion sound for heavy and classic rock, as well as a little punk and good cleans. The classic rock sound is most important however. Thanks, Brian.
            As an alternative you might want to check out a pair of Eminance GB-12's. I believe they go for $90.00 a pair! I have'nt heard them myself but Kevlar said he's used them for some time now and swear's by them. As far as taming the harshness in your amp's OD channel I highly recommend that you contact Bob at www.eurotubes.com. I have a Classic 30 and the tubes that Bob recommended for my amp did absolute wonders. I was truly amazed at the differance these tubes made. Hope this helps.

Comment

I have a Classic 50/212 with 2 Jensen C12N's and I think it rocks. The cleans are on the blusey side (but the Classics will NEVER be Twin Reverb Clean). The dirty stuff is oh so sweet. No other mods are necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
                As an alternative you might want to check out a pair of Eminance GB-12's. I believe they go for $90.00 a pair! I have'nt heard them myself but Kevlar said he's used them for some time now and swear's by them. As far as taming the harshness in your amp's OD channel I highly recommend that you contact Bob at www.eurotubes.com. I have a Classic 30 and the tubes that Bob recommended for my amp did absolute wonders. I was truly amazed at the differance these tubes made. Hope this helps.
                What tubes did he recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
                  What tubes did he recommend?
                  I told Bob what I wanted to do was to get rid of that harsh, spikey character in the OD channel....basically I wanted to "brown it up" a bit. Bob recommended EL84 tubes with a #35 heat rating. (I'm trying to remember what tubes I have in the preamp). If I'm remembering right I've got an ECC832 in V1 which has about 70% gain which gives me a lot more clean headroom in the clean channel. This will also have an effect on the OD channel. In V2 I've got an ECC83 and in V3 I've got balanced phase invertor ECC83.

Comment

Working...
                  X