What folk guitar would you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What folk guitar would you recommend?

I'm looking for a folk guitar new or used in the 400-500 Euros range to play at home. I don't like slim neck and prefer Gibson type necks. What would you recommend?

Re: What folk guitar would you recommend?

you want an electric or an acoustic?

if its an electric, i would recomend a strat even though you dont like the neck. normally, when i think of folk music , i think of strats. just my $.02
    im sure someone thinks differently than me though.....

if its an acoustic you are looking for, then try out some....i dont know much about different acoustics, even though other guys here just got some and im sure they will come along soon....
    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
    fender mim standard strat
    peavey classic 30
    johnson j-station
    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
    yamaha f-310p acoustic
    taylor 410 acoustic
    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
      you want an electric or an acoustic?

if its an electric, i would recomend a strat even though you dont like the neck. normally, when i think of folk music , i think of strats. just my $.02
      im sure someone thinks differently than me though.....

if its an acoustic you are looking for, then try out some....i dont know much about different acoustics, even though other guys here just got some and im sure they will come along soon....
      Thanks but I I'm looking for a cool acoustic guitar.

Comment

ah, thats what i thought, lol.

well, taylor makes some killer sounding, low priced guitars. deffinately check some of those out....also, some members of this board like guild acoustics. personally, i think the huge headstock is annoying, but thats just me.
        lower priced martins could also fit your needs.

i have a yamaha (see signature below) and i think it sounds amazing. personally, i think its the best priced guitar for the money it is (about 200 euros). it sounds amazing...and it plays and feels great.
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
          ah, thats what i thought, lol.

well, taylor makes some killer sounding, low priced guitars. deffinately check some of those out....also, some members of this board like guild acoustics. personally, i think the huge headstock is annoying, but thats just me.
          lower priced martins could also fit your needs.

i have a yamaha (see signature below) and i think it sounds amazing. personally, i think its the best priced guitar for the money it is (about 200 euros). it sounds amazing...and it plays and feels great.
          Hey!! it reminds me that a friend of mine owns an electro acoustic yamaha which is pretty cool. I have to think to it.

Comment

yeah, deffinately dont throw out yamaha guitars, great stuff.
            peavey classic 30
            johnson j-station
            yamaha f-310p acoustic
            taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

yamaha's are the best lower priced guitars out there....period. I've owned several yamaha acoustics (most which I sold so I could buy my truck), and they're awsome. You can get one from American Music Supply or Sam Ash for about 300 USD.
              This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Seagull makes some really nice folk guitars as well.
                <----

Comment

( I know you said you prefer Gibson style necks)......But, check out a Martin D-15. The D-15 is an Excellent Guitar, and they are reasonably affordable. I have both Gibson and Martin acoustics, ( my Martins are a D-28, and a D-18 )....but I've played several D-15's, and have found them very comfortable to play. They are very much worth a look.
                  Only The Strong Survive

Comment

If you like Gibson style necks Go with a Guild. If you can find an older one thats even better. Guilds are one of the most under rated Guitar in the business. I have played so many Gulds that sound and play better than Gibsons it is uncanny. A decent Guild like a D25(mahogony), or a Guild D50 (rosewood) will run about or slightly more than what you are looking to spend, and it will be a life long guitar. They are also very road worthy. Simply put they can take a beating!! Good Luck!!!
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Many many thanks to all of you guys. You are really helpful. Don't know much about seagull but I will have a look for martins or guilds on ebay.

Comment

Ever heard something about Orville Hummingbird?

Comment

Working...
                        X