Compound Radius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Radius

Well, I'm about to start building my custom guitar now that summer's here, but there's still some aspects I have to decide on before I order anything. The thing that's concerning me most is warmoth's compound fretboard radius that comes standard with their necks. It seems like a good idea to me, but my guitar teacher said that he didn't like the feeling of inconsistency it gave. I would try a guitar that has one, but I'm pretty sure no major guitar manufacturer does it so I can't really do that...

Anyway, have any of you tried a warmoth neck with the compound radius? If so, did it make a difference or is it best to not bother and get a straight radius?
    Check out my music here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=647174

Re: Compound Radius

I haven't tried a Warmoth compound neck, but I've played several guitars with a compound radius neck: Ibanez JS1000, Parker Fly/Nitefly, and Larrivee, among others. I think they are fantastic and do everything they say they do. I give them a huge !!

Mike

Comment

I know that the Japanese Charvels from the 80's have compound radius necks, not sure about other models though. If you can locate an old Charvel, you can see if the compound radius idea is to your liking or not.

I always thought it was pretty cool and not very noticable to my hands, just a gradual flattening of the fretboard as it gets closer to the bridge. YMMV

Comment

I thought it felt great this first time I put together my Warmoth strat. It is SO much more comfortable playing chords up by the nut. When I go back to my 80's Kramer, the neck feels flat and uncomfortable. Frankly, I can't see any downside (from the player's perspective, not the manufacturers') to the compound radius neck and highly recommend it. I think it should be standard on all guitars.
        This machine kills fascists

Comment

Thanks for your comments! I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the compound radius as it just seems like a cool idea. I did wonder though, why isn't it standard on all guitars
          Check out my music here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=647174

Comment

Originally posted by JPP
            Thanks for your comments! I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the compound radius as it just seems like a cool idea. I did wonder though, why isn't it standard on all guitars
            I've always felt the same way. A compound radius just makes sense.

Comment

I think most Jackson's are compound radius. As to why not a standard thing, I'm guessing that it's a bit more work, but that's a guess.

-Matt
              Originally posted by Scott_F
              On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

I have a compund radius warmouth neck on one of my strats. It plays OK, but it doesn't feel like a Strat. What I don't like about Warmouth's necks today is they put the neck adjustment on the heel of the neck, and the screw adjustment can be seen from the lower side of the neck. To me thats just wrong!! I would recommend looking at Usa www.usacustomguitars.com or edenhaus.com. Both of these Companys make replacement necks and bodies, and they appear to be more consistant with the original designs.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I have an old guitar that was refretted years back, and when the luthier refretted it, he made the fingerboard a compund radius 10" to 18" I think, it's very natural feeling, doesn't choke out notes in the upper register when bending, and is still curved enough to feel natural for chording i really like it better than say a straight 10" (PRS) which is my second choice, and much much better than a straight 12"~15" some gibsons and the like, I played a 22" one time, it was aflat as possible, and I didn't care for it much. If you like that fenderish feel towards the nut, and athat gibson feel towards the heel, then a compound is the way to go, other than that a 10" even radius is a great compromise also.
                  ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                  ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                  Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
                  X