• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MXR distortion + opinions

hey guys
    ive recently come across the MXR distortion +

any of u guys used it? i would really love to hear your opinions of it

i hear its was the pedal of choice for RR (RIP)

anyways
    what do u think?
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Re: MXR distortion + opinions

I had the MXR Double Shot and it basically is a Distortion + and a Dime pedal in one.

It's a fuzzy type of tone. It's dark and muddy. I hated it. If used very lightly it did some OK overdrive, but it completely colors your tone (even on light settings).

I like some of MXRs stuff, but their distortion pedals just don't do it for me. I wonder how that Zakk Wylde thing is?
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

euch! the double shot sounds nothing like a vintage d+

I own a block logo from 1979 and it's lovely. Very open distortion great when pushing other distortions for fuzzed up madness. It is the opposite of dark, quite trebley and lovely on open chords, retains string definition.

I've tried the Double Shot and thought it was trash.
      Jazzmaster Owner

My eBay Auctions

Comment

I used to have an early 80s Distortion+, and dark or muddy would have been the last words I'd use to describe it. My Dist+ was very bright and open sounding; it nailed RR's tone with my Les Paul through my old '73 PTP Superlead.

I ran the Dist+ into the high input on the bright channel with the volume set to 4. Distortion and volume all the way up on the pedal, EQ on the amp as needed (typically very little EQ required).
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

i kno the older models kick ass, but have any of u had any experinces with the new model (with the LED)
          im able to get that one pretty cheap and was just wondering about the quality of it

thanks dudes!
          Guitars:
          Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
          Amps:
          Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

The Dist+ I was referring to in the post above is one of the first LED units made by MXR in the early 80s. I don't know about the Dunlop reissue.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Sounds almost like the 80's one.
              Open and fuzzy when the drive is up.

Comment

Working...
              X