Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locking Tuners - Pros and Cons

hey guys
    just wanted to chek what u guys rekon about locking tuners that are out these days
    ive got a set on my music man sillhouette special and think they are pretty cool
    but ive talked to some guitar repairers who hate them and totally advise against them - saying that they dont aid in tuning stability, but increase the problems

im considering putting them on all my guitars
    have u had any probs?
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Re: Locking Tuners - Pros and Cons

No cons that I know of. I love my sperzels.

Comment

I don't know if it would be a "con" per se, but you could say that it was "price", traded for convenience. They just make it a bit easier to string a guitar, at the expense of . . . well, expense.

Comment

I have a set of Sperzels on my Strat, and love them. I don't understand a tech. saying that they don't add in tuning stability.... They definatley keep my strat in tune better. I think they are a bit of a pain to get strings into (the hole is very small, and I don't see as well asI used too.) so if there is a negative I would say thats it, but I have seen some of the newer designs that look more traditional. I think it is planet wave that just released a new tuning machine that locks, and trims the excess off all at the same time. That sounds like a winner to me.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I don't have need for them.

Then again, I have a Floyd Rose Double Locking Tremolo

On a more serious note, I don't see a problem with them, but I also don't need them. When strung properly the string locks itself into place.

As long as you have a quality set of tuners, you don't really need locking ones, but there's also nothing wrong if you do have them.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Locking tuners => faster string changes, less string stretching, more stable tuning...

I agree with Screaming Daisy that you don't need them with a fixed bridge, but any tremelo bridge without a locking nut will probably benefit from locking tuners IMHO.

Chip
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

no cons at all..every guitar should come with them.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ishmun
                hey guys
                just wanted to chek what u guys rekon about locking tuners that are out these days
                ive got a set on my music man sillhouette special and think they are pretty cool
                but ive talked to some guitar repairers who hate them and totally advise against them - saying that they dont aid in tuning stability, but increase the problems

im considering putting them on all my guitars
                have u had any probs?
                No REAL probs. If you have a long scale guitar that vibrates with every fibre of its being (sic) then the locking thumbscrews sometimes come undone, but it's not a real problem. I have two lots of Sperzels and they're great-when the tuners on my other guitars clap out, it's Sperzels/Schaller/Gotoh locker time, every time.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X