No announcement yet.

What to upgrade 1st-Tubes or speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to upgrade 1st-Tubes or speakers?

I'm going to upgrade my Traynor YCV80. Should I go with new tubes or replace my 2 speakers one at a time? Some one recommended 4 JJ 6L6GC's and 3 JJ ECC83S' for about $84.00 About the same as a new speaker.

Which will give me the most noticable results?
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Re: What to upgrade 1st-Tubes or speakers?

While I'm not familiar with your amp, I can tell you that changing the tubes in a Fender Blues Jr. produced a nice, subtle change... replacing the crapola speaker was like getting a brand new amp . I'll say "speaker first", but hopefully someone who knows your amp will drop by.

Chip
    Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
    Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
    Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
    SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
    SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
    "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

Speakers first.

Unless your tubes are microphonic. But if they're fine, get the speakers.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I found a place online (BLTSound.com) that has the Eminence Patriot/Red Coat speakers pretty cheap. Anywhere from $47-66 for 12in.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
          While I'm not familiar with your amp, I can tell you that changing the tubes in a Fender Blues Jr. produced a nice, subtle change... replacing the crapola speaker was like getting a brand new amp . I'll say "speaker first", but hopefully someone who knows your amp will drop by.
          Chip
          I am not familiar with that amp either but I have definitely heard bigger sound improvements after changing speakers. Unless your tubes are totally junky, the change will be subtle when compared to a speaker upgrade.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

speakers speakers speakers. go with something nice though, like webers (my fav and they are american made) or celestions. My new speakers completely changed the tone of my amp.
            Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Working...
            X