Vox Concerns....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Concerns....

Ok, so, my AC-30 is starting to squeek, if you know what I mean.... Like, it sounds like something rubbing against something (maybe the shocks on the power tube) and is not getting amplified. It also only appears when I play the notes between C (on the A string) and D (on the G string) Any ideas?
    Last edited by Indie P Bass; 05-28-2004, 07:29 PM.
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Re: Vox Concerns....

Class A power really hits those EL-84's hard, and if they're older than a couple years, it's a good bet that they're worn, and some of the internal components are rattling. It also may be 12AX7's becoming microphonic. While strumming your guitar with some volume on the vox to create the bad sound, use your other hand to muffle each tube with a rag. You may find one that's creating that noise. Or, you may just have to retube it. Just order a full set of Tesla JJ's for power and pres. Those tubes sound great in that amp.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Retube is just about a given... Class A will eat up EL84s.

SOMETHING ELSE: The tube sockets could be contributing to the problem. Specifically, the metal sleeves where the pins insert. If the pins aren't fitting really snug and tight, then you can get some noise. SO, I pulled the chasis, got a thumb tack, and crimped the sleeves back in toward the center. The tubes fit tight again, and the noise went away.

The sockets for EL84s are all pretty weak like that. Its an industry problem, not the fault of the amp manufacturer. It would be nice if someone had a more sturdy design. But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
      "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
      R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
      http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

I took it in.... they didn't know what was wrong with it. So, I'm taking it back to where I bought it and they're going to work on it for free (considering I dropped 1400,000 pennies on her) and retube it. YAY!

Comment

Originally posted by rhmcfarland
          Retube is just about a given... Class A will eat up EL84s.

SOMETHING ELSE: The tube sockets could be contributing to the problem. Specifically, the metal sleeves where the pins insert. If the pins aren't fitting really snug and tight, then you can get some noise. SO, I pulled the chasis, got a thumb tack, and crimped the sleeves back in toward the center. The tubes fit tight again, and the noise went away.

The sockets for EL84s are all pretty weak like that. Its an industry problem, not the fault of the amp manufacturer. It would be nice if someone had a more sturdy design. But, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
          you should see the sockets that came in my Bad Cat for securing the EL84's. nothing but totally sturdy there buddy! They have really nice tube covers like you see on Fender preamp tubes, but they lock in really nicely. the sockets themselves are pretty top notch. If a person pulls their tubes straight out, you won't screw up the sockets. But if you wiggle them from side to side, you'll loosen them up. Not a manufacturer problem, more of a operator error if you ask me.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

It's cool that the store is offering to take care of it for you. Was it new or used? It proves that they're smart enough to value your business, after throwing over $2500 in their lap last week.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

they actually said it was either the recto or power tube clips vibrating on the tubes. They got it a little quieter, but, when I got it home, I took the chassis out and trial and errored it... it's something on the speaker output side.... sounds like it's coming from the big magnetic thing (I don't know what it is, so I didn't touch it)

Anyway, it sounds better now, but, not perfect like I want... could I somehow install the madcatz covers or something like that?

Comment

The sound gets worse and better for no apparent reason... it sounds like metal on glass or metal on metal, anyone got any advise? Please?

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
                  The sound gets worse and better for no apparent reason... it sounds like metal on glass or metal on metal, anyone got any advise? Please?
                  Is this at all volumes? Do you have the tube retainer clips on?
                  Last edited by mrid; 05-28-2004, 08:37 PM.

Comment

All the tube retainer clips are on, I've tried it with them off, as well. This is only at volumes that a little hihger and fuller sounding and tend to be on higher notes, especially if they are on a thicker string. (IE Gb on the G[9th fret]) it's a kind of oscilating buzz that sounds like metal on something.

Comment

Guys, got any help or advice for me? Suggestions? Ideas? Anything? I'm at the end of my rope, my warranty hasn't come through yet, so, I'm hopping that that gets back soon, so I can atleast get it fixed for free.... But, if you know what my problem is, that'd kick if you could help me.

Comment

Working...
                      X