No announcement yet.

Compare Dbl. Fat Strat to Charvel Std.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compare Dbl. Fat Strat to Charvel Std.

A quick comparison -

Fender Double Fat Strat

Charvel Standard

Both have alder body, maple necks, dual humbuckers and are Strat-shaped.

Fender advantages:
    S1 switching for maximum tonal versatility.
    It's offered in both hardtail and traditional Strat trem configurations.
    I'm much more familiar with Fender. I love Strats as it is.

Charvel advantages:
    24 fret neck
    Seymour Duncans STOCK (they even have my personal favorite setup: JB + Jazz)

Any thoughts? I have almost no experience with Charvel whatsoever.... are they generally pretty high quality? What do the necks feel like? Thanks!
    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
    - David St. Hubbins

Re: Compare Dbl. Fat Strat to Charvel Std.

a post fit for me lol
    I never tried the standard, because after i played the Model A i found my dream, but try em out, charvels are really nice and sadly i dont think ive played a start too many times so

Some good things bout charvels
    -You can play them really fast cause of the neck,
    -Great Sound althought i havnt played a strat in a while so....
    -24 frets and the duncans as you mentioned,
    -THere Hella fun to play for sure
    -Pretty Light weight
    there ya go, not much i guess but i dont got the time to pick up my guitar and play it right now so, i hope that helped

-Cobalt blue Charvel
    -Seymour duncan live wire heavy metal humbuckers
    -Gibson amp( model unknown its too old)
    -Behringer V-amp 2

Comment

Every time I've owned a Fender, I've sold it and replaced it with a Charvel. That should give you some idea of how the two compare.

In addition to the advantages you mentioned; the Charvel backshape is more comfortable than the Fender. The fingerboard radius on the Charvel is flatter than the Fender and the frets are larger which will make lead playing easier.

In short I love my Charvel model 4. In fact when I'm just playing around the house, I pick it up more often than my $2000 LP Standard.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I'd go with the Strat. The new American series models are really nice and the necks feel just perfect for me (emphasis on "for me") due to the contour, smaller frets, and rolled edges.

I can't say much about Charvel. I didn't really like the ones I've played however. I'm not a fan fo the standard "shredder" necks with their large frets and flat necks. Bigger necks like Schecter's, Fender's, and Gibson's suit me better.
        Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
        Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
        Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
        Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
        Marshall G15CDR
        Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
        Marshall 1960A
        Boss ME-50
        ...and just a little talent.

Comment

I haven't played a Charvel, and you can't argue that those SD pups will probably be better than the stock Fender.

Although I can speak for the S-1 switching on the new Fenders. I have it on my Fat Stat (single, not double fat) and it's great! 10 different tonal options and each one rocks. In the case of the Fat Strat there's vintage quack, modern & powerful single coil leads, vintage 'bucker, tele-like twang, and a really nice and thick LP-like sound when all pups are on. The S-1 isn't just a gimmick, it really offers some nice usable variety.

Comment

well looking at the two (emphasis on looking, i have played the fender but not the charvel so i will not try to compare)

fender has a rosewood board (my preference)
            fender has a 22 fret neck (my preference, and means neck pup isnt moved so sounds nicer)

fender can be hardtail (my preference also)

but the charvel comes stock with duncans - which is pretty good! i think they go for either 299 or 399 at musicians friend which is a pretty good deal
            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
              fender has a rosewood board (my preference)
              Actually what those pics don't show is the fact Fender offers the double fat in either rosewood OR maple.

Comment

That Charvel appears to have a maple top. With the all-maple neck, that's a lot of maple to go round. May be a bit harsh and bright sounding.

Overall, I'd go for the fender. I haven't tried the latest double fats, but the big apple that they replaced were great guitars. I'm told the bridge pickup is very close to a JB.

It all depends on whether you're a shred guy or not. If you are, the charvel may be your thing. The fender will be the more versatile guitar, though. And it has the advantage of a 22 fret neck, meaning that the neck pickup's tone isn't messed up by squeezing it closer to the bridge.

Remember, fenders hold their resale value better, too.

Guitar Player magazine gave an editors pick award to the double fat strat a couple of months ago.
                Originally posted by Jolly
                ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

charvel

first of all they already come stock with the duncans whihc is an added bonus
                  you can split the pickups(if thats the right model)
                  you get a quartersawn maple enck whihc is alot better than the way fender does it
                  and you'll be different, because every one and their little sister has a fender. how many poeple have a charvel

i like fender though, but i think charvel is better. and the new USA models from charvel are really great guitars. kinda like the old san dimas series in the early nineties.

Comment

Your monkey needs to try decaf. He's makin' me dizzy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gamera
                      I haven't played a Charvel, and you can't argue that those SD pups will probably be better than the stock Fender.

Although I can speak for the S-1 switching on the new Fenders. I have it on my Fat Stat (single, not double fat) and it's great! 10 different tonal options and each one rocks. In the case of the Fat Strat there's vintage quack, modern & powerful single coil leads, vintage 'bucker, tele-like twang, and a really nice and thick LP-like sound when all pups are on. The S-1 isn't just a gimmick, it really offers some nice usable variety.
                      I would almost guarantee that duncans will sound better than stock fenders.

Comment

I've never played either one, but the hardtail version of that Strat is one of my favorites:

Comment

well if chris's dad would do something about it, then chris wouldn't be afraid of going in his closet.

Comment

(Whispers . . . you can always hit the "Esc" key to make him hold still.)

Comment

I own a vintage Strat ('79) as well as a Wayne guitar, hand-built by Wayne Charvel and his son Michael. If the company Charvel is making guitars to his original recipe, the neck will be barely finished, instead of lacquered like a Strat neck; this allows for faster playing. The finger board radius is flatter, too, which is great for things like two handed tapping. and really wide vibrato. The original Charvel neck is 22 frets, tho. I would go with the Charvel if faced with a choice between the two.
                              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                              X