Good deal on a Danelectro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good deal on a Danelectro?

I saw a Dano in a local music store that looked new. I don't know the model, but it had two pairs of lipstick pickups (lipstick humbuckers, maybe?) and a Dano bigsby copy. They wanted $249 for it.

I liked the feel of the guitar, and I've been looking for a cheap guitar with a Bigsby. However, that music store is pretty shady and also over prices everything. So, is $249 reasonable for that guitar?

Also, the music store said that Danelectro is still making guitars, but the Dano website only has pedals. Also, it looks like every Dano dealer on the net is clearing their inventory. What's the deal?
    "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Re: Good deal on a Danelectro?

I wouldn't pay 250, for it... maybe 150.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

dano dont make guitars anymore, they stopped production about a year ago.

the guitars they did make were made semi hollow out of plywood. cool looking things, but pretty bland sounding in my experience. felt kinda clanky and toy guitarish.

if you want something cheap with a bigsby, i would check out the Ibanez artcore range. there are some really nice guitars in there, not standard ibanez fare.
      Last edited by Rich_T; 05-26-2004, 02:49 PM.
      "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

i actaully liked the dano's that were being made a few years ago. i would pay that price for it....i liked the feel and sound of them...
        esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
        fender mim standard strat
        peavey classic 30
        johnson j-station
        original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
        dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
        yamaha f-310p acoustic
        taylor 410 acoustic
        "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Check out www.reverenddirect.com for something better than Dano's...

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
            Check out www.reverenddirect.com for something better than Dano's...
            Those guitars look interesting, but they have one quirk that I notice on some other guitars too, like the Fender Toronado, for instance. Maybe its just me, but it seems to me that you'ld want the lines of the pickguard to follow, or at least compliment, the lines of the body.

Those pickguards look like they were made for a different guitar. No continuity at all.

Again, maybe its just me.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
              Those guitars look interesting, but they have one quirk that I notice on some other guitars too, like the Fender Toronado, for instance. Maybe its just me, but it seems to me that you'ld want the lines of the pickguard to follow, or at least compliment, the lines of the body.

Those pickguards look like they were made for a different guitar. No continuity at all.

Again, maybe its just me.
              yeah! cool aint it? i like those crazy pickguard shapes. those guitars look really interesting, thanks for that link MRID.
              "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Dano's are cool. They're kind of like the White Castle of guitars, if you think of White Castle as hamburgers you'll be disappointed but as White Castle they're excellent. Decent Dano's all have a cool odd ball vibe and tone yet they can still Rock. I was digging those sparkle Hodad baritones they came out with, I'll find one sooner or later when I have a few bucks to kill and give it an nice home.

Anywhere between 200-250 and you're in pretty good shape I would think. Not likely to ever be worth much more or less so dig it for what it is and be happy.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I want one of those kick ass Traveling Willbury Danos. I mean, how can you go wrong w/ George Harrison, Tom Petty, and Roy O. all in the same band?
                  This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
                    Dano's are cool. They're kind of like the White Castle of guitars, if you think of White Castle as hamburgers you'll be disappointed but as White Castle they're excellent. Decent Dano's all have a cool odd ball vibe and tone yet they can still Rock. I was digging those sparkle Hodad baritones they came out with, I'll find one sooner or later when I have a few bucks to kill and give it an nice home.

Anywhere between 200-250 and you're in pretty good shape I would think. Not likely to ever be worth much more or less so dig it for what it is and be happy.

my teach has one of the baritones, its a kick as$ thing to play. fun to just fool around with, or play some killer rockabilly stuff....
                    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                    fender mim standard strat
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                      I want one of those kick ass Traveling Willbury Danos. I mean, how can you go wrong w/ George Harrison, Tom Petty, and Roy O. all in the same band?

That guitar is actually the single biggest POS I laid my hands on, I couldn't believe how bad they were.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

who said I would play it? I just want to be able to say "Yeah, you got a '59 Les Paul, well check this **** out!"
                        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I have a Dano U-1 and it is a quite nice guitar. I had bought it for 100 $ (in boulder, colorado, on a hollyday) And I think for the money it is pretty amazing. Anyway, i wouldn't pay 250 for it. It had a nice sound unpplugged, but no sustain at all. On the amplifier the sound was kind of muddy and lacked definition. And the tuners were so bad they couldn't stand a playing afternoon with my band and I had retune the guitar several times. BUT, again the looks are soooo nice, and the plywood gave the guitar somehow an interesting sound.

So I changued the guitar completely, new tuners, new bridge (a filed telecaster brass one) and new SD P-90 vintage pickups. Yeah, much more money than the guitar itself. The result: improoved sustain, britter tone and a much more better sound came out the amplifier. Now I use it to play slide and it is just great!!

Don't spect them to play like the SG you have in you avatar, but they have a sound on their own, that's true! ( that you may like or not). If you want them to behave like the good ones expect to spend some money on it.

Comment

ha ha there sweet guitars,,...,
                            Marshall JVM 410C
                            Mesa Boogie DC-3
                            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
                            X