How to fix a trem, PLEASE HELP ME!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix a trem, PLEASE HELP ME!

My trem on my MIM fender strat is kind of popping out. Not extremely but it is and sometimes it affect my tuning stability. Ever since i used skinny top heavy bottom ernieball strings i've had this problems. I read that the MIM bridges should be flushed against the body but mines isn't! I like the string gauge I have now and don't want to lower the gauge anymore. Also i notice when i detune my guitars half a step down to Eb the bridge goes back to normal, how do i reduce the tension and stay in standard tuning? Is it the way im stringing my guitars up? Maybe im tightening them to much?

Thanks in davance for your help guys.
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: How to fix a trem, PLEASE HELP ME!

Open up the backcavity of your guitar, you will find some springs and a claw with screws...tighten those until your trem is flush, once the trem is flush, adjust the tension once more, most likely your trem will feel a bit less smooth so loosen the screws abit, not so much so the trem will float again.
    How many springs are there?

Comment

Originally posted by strat_master
      My trem on my MIM fender strat is kind of popping out. Not extremely but it is and sometimes it affect my tuning stability. Ever since i used skinny top heavy bottom ernieball strings i've had this problems. I read that the MIM bridges should be flushed against the body but mines isn't! I like the string gauge I have now and don't want to lower the gauge anymore. Also i notice when i detune my guitars half a step down to Eb the bridge goes back to normal, how do i reduce the tension and stay in standard tuning? Is it the way im stringing my guitars up? Maybe im tightening them to much?

Thanks in davance for your help guys.
      If you only have 3 springs in there, which is what they usually come with, you definitely should add another.

Comment

Setting up a Trem is really a matter of personal preference. If you want to be able to raise the pitch by pulling up on the arm then you have to have the bridge off the body. If this is not a concern to you than set the bridge to rest on the body. The advantage to setiing the trem to rest on the body is if you break a string the guitar will stay in tune. If the bridge is set to "float" if you break a string your guitar will go completley out of tune. You should also be aware that changing string gauges will usually result in having to adjust the trem. Loosen the strings before you make any adjustments to the claw, and after you set it the way you like the guitar will need to be intonated again. I would also recommend to replace the saddles with graphite saddles, adninstall locking tuners. These simple adjustments will help your guitar stay in tune better and the guitar will simply sound better.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
        X