What Does Long Tenon Mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does Long Tenon Mean?

What does long tenon exactly mean by the gibson custom shop? Alot of thier guitars have a long tenon neck what does that mean? Does this mean that the guitar is actually longer than other guitars? thus making the guitars bigger than the other guitars?
    Proud Master of Strats.....

Re: What Does Long Tenon Mean?

The neck joint has a longer tenon joint which holds the neck and body together The long tenon goes back into the cavity of the neck pickup. That's not the greatest explanation in the world.

Comment

thats not too bad jolly, it is just a bigger (longer) neck joint. it promotes more sustain. It is the way they used to make guitars, at least the way gibson used to make guitars. Blueline can probably give you a better description of the long neck tenon because he uses one in the guitars he builds that are set neck.
      Cleveland Guitars

Comment

The long tenon joints will provide a stiffer feel to the neck, the shorter joint may make it feel a bit more flexible. There are arguements for both, some like the stability of the long joint, some like the feel of the short joint.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I think they are trying to say that the guitar will sustain better because of the long tenen joint and that this is the way that old Gibson's used to be made and therfore you should buy it now! hehe..

Tim
          Tim..

Comment

so this extra joint isnt visible is it? it doesnt actually make the guitar neck longer than a regular line gibson right?
            Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

long tennon means the neck(not the scale or the fret board) is longer, similiar to neck thru that teh enck goes far into the body. sometimes past the bridge pickup. Jaros Guitars uses this system, as well as Gledura guitars. like a set neck but longer.

Comment

gibson typically uses a tenon that is about an 1inch an a half wide under the fingerboard that barely extends into the neck pickkup,
                their extended tenon is the same width, but extends to the front neck pickup

not to toot my own horn (toot toot) but my "extended neck pocket" is the full width of the fingerboard and extends to the front of the neck pickup

Jaros guitars and some others have a neck tenon that extends almost to the bridge pickup

now that's extended

what does it do - more glue surface and more wood = better tuning stabiliy and sustain

hope that helps

here's a pick of my tenon if it helps you understand

(yes this is for a fellow forumite (shh its still in the works)

cheers
                Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
                Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
                www.gaugeguitars.com
                Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                X