Thin Lizzy tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Lizzy tone

I love that crunchy tone they get on songs like Jailbreak and The Boys Are Back In Town etc. How can I get a tone similar to that?

Re: Thin Lizzy tone

There are 4 elements to the Thin Lizzy sound: a Les Paul, a wah pedal, a cranked single channel Marshall stack, and diatonic 3rd harmonies ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Check out John Sykes Web site.. www.johnsykes.com is it I do belive, but if not, just do a search on Google for "John Sykes" or Thin Lizzy.. and check out his personal web page.. He was the Singer and one of the lead guitarist on the last Thin Lizzy Tour in honor of the first singer who died.. John sings almost exactly like the original guy and was an orginal guitarist among many.. His tone is to die for if you ask me.. If you don't have the Thin Lizzy Live in 2000 CD, buy it.. You won't regret it.. and again his tone is killer.. He explains that he uses Gibson LP Customs.. Marshall and Mesa Boogie heads that were modified by the guy that Modified EVH's old Marshalls I guess.. but that dude is dead I guess.. I think A marshall, Wah pedal and as much Gain as you can get.. should do you ok! hehe
      Tim
      Tim..

Comment

Thin Lizzy.......now there's a Classic Les Paul / Marshall soundin Band !!! Gotta agree, I dig em too !!!! For a simple primer on their sound, I think a Les Paul with a 59 in the Bridge, about any Classic Marshall Tube head and 4x12 cab, and a wah pedal will get ya in the Ball Park. ( just goin by my ears ).
        Last edited by 59paul; 05-26-2004, 09:16 PM.
        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Slighty OT but dig up some early Lizzy with Eric Bell. A much different band but totally cool. EB was much more of a Clapton/Hendrix style player and Phil used a lot more Irish folk influences than in his later stuff. Don't get me wrong the killer LP with hums or mini hums into a cranked Marshall Lizzy sound gives me goosebumps to this day don't just stop there. God I wish Phil hadn't lived so hard I would love to hear him live, never had the chance unfortunately, one of the greatest!
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Great post, Wattage. You're right....the early Lizzy is different, and as you said, very, very cool. I, too, wish Phil had lived longer.
            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Wattage,

I agree.. The older stuff is killer too and I agree that Phil was great.. It's really too bad that he died as he was a great writer, and musician all around.. I liked every Thin Lizzy album / cd ever put out.. including the stuff without Phil as it's really just a tribute CD that I have that's live in 2000 in Germany.. Great playing though..

Yeah, an LP with some cool PAF's and a Marshall and you're in!

Tim

Originally posted by Wattage
              Slighty OT but dig up some early Lizzy with Eric Bell. A much different band but totally cool. EB was much more of a Clapton/Hendrix style player and Phil used a lot more Irish folk influences than in his later stuff. Don't get me wrong the killer LP with hums or mini hums into a cranked Marshall Lizzy sound gives me goosebumps to this day don't just stop there. God I wish Phil hadn't lived so hard I would love to hear him live, never had the chance unfortunately, one of the greatest!
              Tim..

Comment

That 59 in the bridge is soo damn good.> Tone to the bone on an LP!
                Tim

Originally posted by 59paul
                Thin Lizzy.......now there's a Classic Les Paul / Marshall soundin Band !!! Gotta agree, I dig em too !!!! For a simple primer on their sound, I think a Les Paul with a 59 in the Bridge, about any Classic Marshall Tube head and 4x12 cab, and a wah pedal will get ya in the Ball Park. ( just goin by my ears ).
                Tim..

Comment

By the way who played the solo in "Cowboy Song"?

Comment

I dunno. But it is a great song!
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I think the 1st was Scott Gorham & the 2nd was Brian Robertson.......Simon is the Lizzy guru 'round here....he could tell ya' !

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Les Paul with 59b or similar, old Marshall, cranked. And great fingers
                        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

Ha ha

Funny story,
                          Theres this guy i know who was starting a band years ago and at one stage they had phil linnot, But the idiots kicked him out right away because they said that he could sing or play bass...

Fools..!!
                          Marshall JVM 410C
                          Mesa Boogie DC-3
                          ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                          1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                          2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                          2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                          1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                          2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                          1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

anyone else have any suggestions, what about Seths?

Comment

Working...
                            X