No announcement yet.

How often do tubes need to be changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do tubes need to be changed?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering how often do tubes need to be changed? I'm guessing it depends on the usuage of the amp. Also, which go faster, pre or power tubes?

Thanks!
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Re: How often do tubes need to be changed?

from http://www.drifteramps.com/safety.html

RETUBING -- Its ALWAYS better to change your power tubes before they go on you. When a power tube fails, a lot of times it takes other components out with it. How often should you retube? There is no set-in-stone amount of time they last, since there are many factors affecting tube life. A rule of thumb, however is if you gig more than a few nights a week, every year you should retube at least. If your amp doesn't seem to have the power that it used to have or just sounds dull and lifeless, chances are its time to retube. Preamp tubes tend to last much longer. In fact, there are amps out there today that have been used heavily for 20 years or more with the original preamp tubes. ALWAYS BIAS YOUR NEW TUBES! IF YOU CAN'T DO IT YOURSELF, TAKE THE AMP TO A QUALIFIED TECH!
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
      from http://www.drifteramps.com/safety.html

RETUBING -- Its ALWAYS better to change your power tubes before they go on you. When a power tube fails, a lot of times it takes other components out with it. How often should you retube? There is no set-in-stone amount of time they last, since there are many factors affecting tube life. A rule of thumb, however is if you gig more than a few nights a week, every year you should retube at least. If your amp doesn't seem to have the power that it used to have or just sounds dull and lifeless, chances are its time to retube. Preamp tubes tend to last much longer. In fact, there are amps out there today that have been used heavily for 20 years or more with the original preamp tubes. ALWAYS BIAS YOUR NEW TUBES! IF YOU CAN'T DO IT YOURSELF, TAKE THE AMP TO A QUALIFIED TECH!
      Thanks Curly! What do you mean by bias the tubes? Sorry I'm still learning all this tube talk

P.S. That link is very useful, you should have that added to the Vault.
      -Tom

Vox VT15
      Washburn D10SCE

Comment

biasing is the electronic equivalent to setting the idle on your car ...

"music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Thanks a ton Curly! Those are some great links!
          -Tom

Vox VT15
          Washburn D10SCE

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
            biasing is the electronic equivalent to setting the idle on your car ...
            Thats one of the best analogy's for that I've ever heard.

Comment

Power tubes go faster. After about 6-12 months, depending on use, I'd change them.

Comment

for those interested in more tube info, I recommend Myles Rose's site:

also, there are several other amp links on my link page:
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Working...
                X