Vox valvetronix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox valvetronix

Anyone own one of these? Positive or negative comments? Wheres the cheapest place to buy? I'm looking at the 60 watt head if that makes a difference.

J
    Low wattage rocks!
    Bumbox Lead 1
    Orange Tiny Terror
    Vox 120VTH
    ----------------------
    Gibson LP Standard - SG Supreme
    Agile LP-2500 - Jackson JSX-94

I believe gearjoneser owns some type of valvetronix. Maybe just a head version or something?

Comment

Yeah, I recently bought the Vox AD60 head.
      It's the best practice/recording rig I've ever used!
      I use my tube amps at my rehearsal studio for practice and gigging, but my recording gear is in my apt studio now, so I'm forced to use a modeling setup. I almost bought the Tonelab, then realized the head is even cheaper, plus you have a power section and tuner, but no cab simulation.

Believe it or not, some settings on the Vox sound a whole lot like a tube amp. Some blow, like any modeling amp. The Marshall, Vox and bassman sounds are better than Line 6 IMO. That little tube they use, mated to the SS power section really does make a difference. Plus the recording out and headphone out have a volume knob on the back of the amp. The variable power that switches between 6, 15, 30, and 60W is awesome for dialing the amp to a suitable volume and still maintaining a cranked amp sound. The best thing about the Vox, compared to others,
      is that the OD modelers are put in front of the EQ, just like stompboxes. That feature allows you to really dial in an exact OD character. There's no lack of gain on the Valvetronix. You can do Beatles to VH to Alice n Chains to Pantera on this thing.

I feel like I made a smart decision to go with the head version, since it allows me to forego the Vox particle board & licensed Celestions, in favor of a Bogner large 2-12 Vin 30 cab. That makes the fidelity of the amp much better than the combo.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks GJ. I just bought another cab for the Marshall, so I have an extra 2x12 laying around so I figure...why not get a different amp? I am getting kinda bored with my flex, and the 12 in it just doesnt give a nice full sound like a 2 or 4x12 so its going and I think the 5150 isnt to far behind it.

J
        Low wattage rocks!
        Bumbox Lead 1
        Orange Tiny Terror
        Vox 120VTH
        ----------------------

Comment

does that valvetronix have selectable ohms?
          Low wattage rocks!
          Bumbox Lead 1
          Orange Tiny Terror
          Vox 120VTH
          ----------------------

Comment

Yeah, the Valvetronix has 4/8/16, I believe.

The only negatives I can find are....It's a little noisy when used at high volume, whereas a tube amp is quieter. The AD60 only has one rec. out. The AD120 has two, but it's $200 more than the
            AD60, which I bought new for $420 out the door. CHeap!

J, if I were you, I'd have a Marshall DSL 50 on top of a 4-12 for
            band playing, and the AD60 or AD120 on top of your Marshall
            2-12. The Vox can emulate the sound of the DSL for low volume playing/recording.

It's a great setup, to have one nice tube amp for real situations,
            and a modeling setup for home practice, recording, headphone play.

Comment

i have the tonelab... and if the valvetronix sound as good as the tonelab i'd highly recomnd getting it
              '05 Gibson SG Standard
              '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
              PRS IRW McCarty
              '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
              82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

the head sounds like a cool idea ! low watts real speakers and kickass tonelabs tone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Wayne Rock-legend #143 Jazz/JB
                Suhr OD-50
                Suhr 4x12" Vintage 30's

"Bradshaw" Moded Crybaby, Majik Box Rocket Fuel

Comment

I'm real happy with the Vox AD60 head! Having the built in tuner is cool, too. No more grabbing for a tuner and small patch cord!

Like I said, the only negatives are that if it's gonna be used as a main rig, it's a little on the noisy side, because solid state power sections usually are. Also, like all modeling amps, the reverb is only "so so" You're definitely not getting a Fender spring reverb!

Everything else is a positive with the Vox Valvetronix.
                  I did a Beatles type session and used the AC-30 patch with a strat bridge pickup. The producer said his POD was getting replaced with a head like my Vox, as soon as he heard it.

For highgain, I can get pretty close to the VH I & II tones, as well as superheavy G. Lynch and Zakk type gain. When you look at the retro look of the Vox head, it's like a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Comment

Working...
                  X