Help me decide on a guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide on a guitar.

Ok, I want a new guitar, and I've posted several times over the past several months about various guitars that I've been considering. Basically, there are three types of guitars I've been wanting, but I can't afford all of them. I've been wanting a Gibson-style double-cutaway (solid like an SG or hollow like a 335), a jazz box, and a guitar with a Bigsby (insired by Johnny A. and Chet Atkins).

I've considered everything from Agiles to real Gibsons, and I've gone to nearly every music store in the Nashville and Chattanooga areas checking out guitars. The problem with the music stores, though, is they only carry the most popular models. So, I've only had a chance to play things like Gibsons and Ibanez Artcores. I have, however, e-mailed numerous manufacturers to ask questions and get specs.

Anyway, based on specs and the price to features/quality ratio, I think I've narrowed my selection down to either a Washburn HB35 or a Washburn J9.

I love the neck specs and the double cutaway on the HB35, but being a semi-hollow, I don't know how jazzy it will sound. The J9 has a full hollow body and a Bigsby, but the neck is a slight bit more narrow and thin than I would like. Also, the fret access is the opposite of the HB35 since the J9's neck joins at the 14th fret like a jazz box. But, like the HB35, this one won’t be a true jazz box either since it has a thin body and a Bigsby. I’m not sure which of the two would be better for jazz stuff, and I can’t decide which one I want more.

To help y’all help me, here a little background. Gear wise, all my electrics are solid bodies: Les Pauls, Tele-styles with humbuckers, and Strats (standard trem and Floyd Rose). Style wise, I’ve always played blues, rock, and 80’s metal. However, over the past year or two, I’ve been broadening my horizons and have been learning a lot of different styles. I’ve been playing a lot of jazz single note improv, chordy stuff, like jazz chord-melody and Johnny A.’s style, and country (I’m learning Travis picking). On top of that, I’ve been really inspired by guys like Derek Trucks, Duane Allman, and Warren Haynes and have been learning slide. My style now is getting harder and harder to define and is quickly becoming a melting pot of seemingly conflicting influences.

So, if you’ve taken the time to read my long, boring post, which guitar do you think would be best for me?
    "Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Re: Help me decide on a guitar.

get the HB35. Throw some duncans in there, and you can have a jazz box, or a great rock machine. If you're still jonsin' for a bigsby, have an aftermarket installed.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I would rather have the hb35, those look sweet. I don't know if the other one would be better for jazzy stuff though. The 35 is almost a guaranteed nice guitar. There must be these two models in Nashville. Isn't that like guitar capital USA?

Comment

What Kind of Amps will you be playing this through?
        What kind of volume will you typically play at?
        Answer these questions first.....
        Semi Hollow body guitars are wonderful guitars. Hollow bodies are as well. Each will present you with different tones and different problems to deal with!
        I have a 335, it is my first choice when I play a Gibson. It does create some problems that you may not be aware of. Semi Holoow bodies, and Hollow bodies are prone to feed back when played at high volume or high gain. Hollow bodies are more difficult to stop this problem. George Benson actually tapes over the "F" holes to stop it. I play through both Fender and Marshall Amps. When I play my 335 through the Marshall the tone is amazing, but I have to be careful where I stand in relation to the Amp or the guitar will squeal. To minimize this I have stuffed the hollow chambers with foam "F" hole baffles that are available. It has not completley stopped the problem. From what you are describing in your playing style I would say a semi hollow body may be better for you. I would recommend you check out this guitar as well. http://www.gibson.com/products/gibso...lle/index.html It solves most of the Feedback issue because it has no "F" holes. If the price is to high for you, consider the Epiphone model, basically the same guitar made in Korea. Definatley worth a look.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Washburns, from the few I've played, are great!

This may be my next guitar: http://www.gguitars.com/was1068.html.
          It's between that, a Terry McInturff Monarch and a Andreas Shark. I'm torn between the three (the Don Grosh Bent Top Custom wasn't quite as nice with further playing).
          Originally posted by kevlar3000
          I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
          Originally posted by Zerberus
          Better is often the enemy of good
          Originally posted by ginormous
          Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Sorry, man, but my expertise is in solid body guitars ...
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

personally, i would go with the HB35. i think for a blues and slide guitar stand point, this is deffinately the better deal and guitar. also, for jazz, this guitar should be nice as well once you dial in the right tones. i think the other one is a little one sided being its ment to have the bigsby and be for big band stuff.
              esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
              fender mim standard strat
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
              dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Working...
              X