Played a PRS Archtop - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Played a PRS Archtop - Review

I went to my local guitar shop today - the owner invited me down a few days ago as he had a whole bunch of new PRS and in particular this very nice teal black archtop 10 top & 10 back that he wanted me to try out. I think PRS refer this as the Hollow Body 1.

As he was having a new room sorted out at the time I told him that I would come along when he had finished it all and may also take in one of my Hamer guitars so that he could play with it as well. I actually took along my Artist Custom as I thought it would be a very interesting comparison because they are very similar in shape (although internally the body on my Hamer is part semi-hollow). Carved figured maple top
    Carved mahogany back and sidesCarved figured maple top
    One thing about the PRS Archtop that I noticed straight away is that it is incredibly light, in fact it comes at quite a shock to actually pick the guitar up. It would be an incredible guitar to play all night along because there is no weight at all. This guitar has a 25" scale, McCarthy archtop pups, 22 frets, IRW neck, Wide Fat and just a very simple 3 toggle switch , 1 V & 1 T. I was playing through one of the Mesa Boogie F30 amps and although there were other amps I mainly stuck with this one. I have to say that the 25" scale at first threw me but once over the initial shock it was like playing a slightly stretched LP. The neck was a joy to play and I was soon running up and down the fretboard like a demented idiot!! The pups were very well balanced and having those simple controls made it very easy to get the tones out of the guitar. Have to say for what is a hollowed out guitar the feedback problems were not there unless you really whacked the gain but then you are talking about playing at very loud volumes.

I then took out my Hamer Artist Custom and played that and I have to say that my Hamer ran the PRS Archtop very close, in fact I thought the pups in the Hamer (Seth Lovers) just had better definition and really sang in the bridge position. Funnily enough the owner tried my guitar and he did enjoy playing the guitar as well.

So what are the conclusions - did I like the PRS? well yes but at over £3000 ($5500) I think that I will say that my Hamer Artist Custom will do just nicely.

So guys what do you think - have any of you played the PRS Archtop and what did you think of it?

Oh yes some pics:

My Hamer Artist Custom:

PRS Archtop (taken from their site and is not the right colour but you'll get the idea)

Normans Guitars

Re: Played a PRS Archtop - Review

Thanks for the review. I would love to try one of those Hamers but where I live (italy) they are as easy to find like water in a desert.
    °
    my stuff

Comment

I have a PRS hollowbody II. As you say they are light. I did not care for the stock underwound pu's. I replaced the pu's with a set of custom shop p-90 style pu's and the improvement was incredible. I also added a resistor and cap across the volume pot to prevent loss of tone when the volume pot is rolled down. Why they don't out these in stock has always been a puzzle to me.

Comment

I love teal black. When I found my teal black McCarty for $1300 on Ebay, it took me 1 hour to decide on the BIN. Never regretted that purchase! I've always wanted a PRS hollowbody, but have never brought myself to the point of purchase. I agree about the pickups needing a bit more definition. Those same pickups sound fine in a soldbody, but not the semi hollow or hollow. The problem with Seth's is that they're two lead pickups, not 4, which PRS guitars require. A C-5/Jazz set is my favorite for PRS. Do you see many PRS guitars on Ebay in the U.K.?
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i have a goldtop mcarty hollowbody that i got a few months ago and i love it. I'm not sure what pickups i'd want in it but for now the stock 1s are ok. I too was surprised by how lite it was when i first picked it up. My only problem was the finish around the f holes... i thought it would have been a little better.
          i got mine on ebay for 1500-1600 ( i cant remember)

'05 Gibson SG Standard
          '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
          PRS IRW McCarty
          '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
          82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

I've always wanted a PRS Hollowbody. The Archtop looked especially great with that piezo system built in. I never brought myself to buying one and now that I'm really happy with my Dean Chafin Del Sol, doesn't look like I'm ever gonna need to buy one.
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              I love teal black. When I found my teal black McCarty for $1300 on Ebay, it took me 1 hour to decide on the BIN. Never regretted that purchase! I've always wanted a PRS hollowbody, but have never brought myself to the point of purchase. I agree about the pickups needing a bit more definition. Those same pickups sound fine in a soldbody, but not the semi hollow or hollow. The problem with Seth's is that they're two lead pickups, not 4, which PRS guitars require. A C-5/Jazz set is my favorite for PRS. Do you see many PRS guitars on Ebay in the U.K.?
              GJ,

I have 2 PRS's Custom 22 10 top one with Braziilian RW neck, but I have always wanted a McCarthy and I have considered the switch change and pups but thought better of it, someone said to me that you would have to rout out the tone control on it to accommodate the push/pulll switch?. That price was an absolute bargain!! There are a few PRS guitars on e-bay in the UK but very pricey, I got both of mine in the US.

Originally posted by Ez74
              i have a goldtop mcarty hollowbody that i got a few months ago and i love it. I'm not sure what pickups i'd want in it but for now the stock 1s are ok. I too was surprised by how lite it was when i first picked it up. My only problem was the finish around the f holes... i thought it would have been a little better.
              i got mine on ebay for 1500-1600 ( i cant remember)
              Ez74,

Nice looking guitar and the price is also very good. I suspect that playing this all night would be easy on the back and shoulders. Did you find the tonal balance alright across the pups or did you think that it was a bit bassy on the neck pup?
              Normans Guitars

Comment

Working...
              X