when recording, what headphones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when recording, what headphones?

when you guys record, what headphone monitors do you use, if any?

Re: when recording, what headphones?

Don't mix with headphones.

It doesn't work. You lose all the sense of direction.

You need decent monitors.

Comment

addendum: Cheap monitors work better than expensive headphones . . . for mixing purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
        Don't mix with headphones.

It doesn't work. You lose all the sense of direction.

You need decent monitors.
        i just mean like overdubbing and stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
          i just mean like overdubbing and stuff...
          Hmmm . . . I'm not sure that changes anything. You still need the sense of "air".

You need to monitor with "speakers".

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Hmmm . . . I'm not sure that changes anything. You still need the sense of "air".

You need to monitor with "speakers".
            ok, thanks artie

Comment

Don't take my word as "gospel". Hopefully, someone else may chime in.

But, when it comes to mixing . . . you need "ambience".

Drop over here, and talk to the folks about "mixing":

http://www.audiomastersforum.org/amforum/index.php
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-29-2004, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Great stuff to know!

Comment

i have a 20+ yr old set of 'on ear' sennheisers that i swear by .. i dont like the sense of isolation from 'full surround cans' .. i am sure that there are better phones out there nowadays, but until these die, they are my #1

good luck
                  cheers
                  t4d
                  gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Yo. I found some cheepy 30 dollar AKG's are great for overdubs and stuff. They're loud , which is what you want when tracking. ( And, they're cheeeep!)

Comment

well, i went to a recording forum and found out that when overdubbing there are 2 ways to record... one is a confusing sound cancellation technique, and the other is headphones, so it is, in fact a standard to use headphones to overdub. i had some extra money so i went to this really cheap clearance sale thing at my local audio store and got some of the cheaper boss headphones (usually 150$) for 90%, WOW THEY SOUND REALLY GOOD. its insane how good the audio quality is with these, AND THEYRE REALLY REALLY LOUD, they'll work perfect, thank you everyone

Comment

Headphones are necessary when you track vocals, drums, and other organic instruments. For electric instruments, if you have the privelege of being able to track in one room, and monitor in another, you can use monitors, since they won't bleed into the mic(s). There are no hard and fast rules here. For monitors I have a pair Thiel loudspeakers that I play with an Audio Research preamp and a pair of VTL monoblocks and a JBL sub. I also have a pair of "cheap" Sonus Faber loudspeakers playing through a receiver for a more 'real world' sound. My 3rd pair of monitors are a pair of powered Roland speakers. For headphones, I like to use Grado, SR125 or SR325. These are open-ear headphones, so you have to watch out for bleeding into the mic(s), but the sound from the headphones is usually way below the source (drums or vocals) and is rarely a problem. I've used headphones and monitors for tracking as well as mixing, and I've had good results using both. If you know the limitations of what you're using, you can mix well on anything, but the key is to play back your mix on as many different systems as possible: table radio, car stereo, hi end stereo, walkman, etc. Hope you find this helpful ...
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I record in the same room as my rig, so I have to use headphones to hear the click track over my guitar. I play loud, so my main priority was volume/power when it came to the headphones. So I did the research and the loudest (3000 mW), semi-affordable headphones out there were the Sony MDR-V700DJ for about $150. I've gone the path of the $20-$50 ones in the past but after you blow 2 or 3 pair you start to realize its worth spending on something that will last.
                          1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
                          1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
                          2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
                          Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
                          Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

Working...
                          X