No announcement yet.

New tubes made a noticeable difference!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tubes made a noticeable difference!

I was torn between buying new tubes or new speakers for my YCV80 2x12, and after reading descriptions such as 'cardboard' of the stock Sovtek tubes I asked Bob at Eurotubes what he recommended for this particular amp. I took his advice and put in 4 JJ 6L6GC's and 2 JJ ECC83S'.

I am now in no hurry to replace the stock Celestion 70/80's. I was very happy with the tone from the amp, but with my MIM Strat it was harsh. The JJ's really smoothed it out and warmed it up. The difference was noticeable.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Re: New tubes made a noticeable difference!

I just put JJ's in my mesa 50cal on recommendation of Bob as well. 6L6GC's and ECC83S's, and they sound great!

Another thumbs up for Bob here
    My Soundclick page.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalSteve
      I was torn between buying new tubes or new speakers for my YCV80 2x12, and after reading descriptions such as 'cardboard' of the stock Sovtek tubes I asked Bob at Eurotubes what he recommended for this particular amp. I took his advice and put in 4 JJ 6L6GC's and 2 JJ ECC83S'.

I am now in no hurry to replace the stock Celestion 70/80's. I was very happy with the tone from the amp, but with my MIM Strat it was harsh. The JJ's really smoothed it out and warmed it up. The difference was noticeable.
      Right on, dude! I have dealt directly with Bob for the last couple of years now and have never been steered wrong. He knows his tubes. My experiences with JJ tubes has been very similar to yours in regards to sound quality and warmth.
      Tubes do make a difference!

Comment

can someone link me to the eurotubes site?

thanks

Comment

Comment

I actully put some brand new JJECC83S preamp tubes in my Peavey Classic 60/60 poweramp along with the JJ 6L6GC and The sound is much thicker & tighter.

It made my sound a tad darker but its actully awsome cause they tamed the highend on the EH12ax7s I am using in the preamp (ADA MP-1) and it made the sound even more crunchy and clear.

Duke
            Last edited by Duke of Metal; 05-30-2004, 01:12 AM.
            www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

JJ tubes seem to be great in most amps. I can't help but recommend revolutionguitar.com. My friend Todd owns it, and is one of the best tube distributors around. He not only carries JJ, but Svetlana, GT, and EI as well.
              I just checked the prices. Todd is cheaper than Bob. It's almost hard to believe, because really, both those guys are making very little profit margin. They make only a few bucks per sale. It's a brutally competetive business.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus
                I just put JJ's in my mesa 50cal on recommendation of Bob as well. 6L6GC's and ECC83S's, and they sound great!

Another thumbs up for Bob here
                Of course Bob at Eurotubes is going to suggest JJ's because that's the only thing he sells!!
                Check out Doug at dougstubes.com
                He sells: JJ, Ei, EH, GT, SED, Rubytubes, Sovtek and Svetlana!!
                His prices are the absolute best on any of these tubes I have seen and he even gives more of a discount when you buy tubes in bulk!

Comment

Originally posted by MSGfan
                  Of course Bob at Eurotubes is going to suggest JJ's because that's the only thing he sells!!
                  Check out Doug at dougstubes.com
                  He sells: JJ, Ei, EH, GT, SED, Rubytubes, Sovtek and Svetlana!!
                  His prices are the absolute best on any of these tubes I have seen and he even gives more of a discount when you buy tubes in bulk!
                  I was just gonna say that When all you sell is JJs, guess what you're going to recommend?

The ECC83S tubes in my Triamp rule. They tame the distortion/overdrive a bit, but everything is much smoother. And GJ is right, revolution guitars is the place to buy from. Fast S&H, great customer service, great packaging and the best prices around!
                  Originally posted by kevlar3000
                  I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                  Originally posted by Zerberus
                  Better is often the enemy of good
                  Originally posted by ginormous
                  Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

I'm well aware that all Bob sells are JJ's. I went to him because he was very familiar with YCV Series amps. I didn't intend to make this a distributor contest. Just wanted to say better tubes made a noticeable difference.
                    I need to spend less time here and more time practicing.
                    Last edited by SoCalSteve; 05-31-2004, 11:24 AM.
                    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

Working...
                    X