Japan Strat or USA Strat ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Japan Strat or USA Strat ???

I know that the USA Strat is made in 1999...what about 1999 model strats??what are the main differences in strat manufactures let's say from 1980's to 1990's...should I consider buying a 1988~ strat??Do they give the classic 80's sound better than 1999 strat???
    90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
    99' USA Fender Stratocaster
    96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
    79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

Originally posted by CsaRvoX
      I know that the USA Strat is made in 1999...what about 1999 model strats??what are the main differences in strat manufactures let's say from 1980's to 1990's...should I consider buying a 1988~ strat??Do they give the classic 80's sound better than 1999 strat???
      If I was buying an american std strat, I'd go for the later one, as they upped their quality control in the 90s, and added a few cool features.

As for a classic 80s strat tone, if you are really after 'classic' 80s strat tone, get yourself a set of EMG SA pickups. There is nothing more '80s' than a strat with emgs. Back in the 80s, you couldn't move for strats and strat copies with EMGs. I still see a lot of them around. To complete the picture, get a boss chorus, a roland JC120 and a couple of police records.

I wouldn't call that setup a 'true' classic strat tone, though. To me, the classic strat tones are the 50s alder and ash bodied maple neck strats, the early/mid 60s alder with rosewood board strats and the late 60s slab board strats. 70s, 80s and 90s strats represent a step down from those, tone-wise, Though a decent reissue from the 80s onward will get you close to the classic sound.

Of course, if you really mean 'classic 80s hard rock/metal' when you say 'classic 80s', then grab whatever strat you like the feel of and dump a humbucker in the bridge position.
      Last edited by Hot _Grits; 06-02-2004, 07:50 PM.
      Originally posted by Jolly
      ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I just got back my MIJ squire. Its alder. Heavy as a mofo. You cant find this kind of craftsmenship in a MIA. the vintageness and the moderness clash together in a way 10 times as better as a MIA. Plus, the color is soo kick ass.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Hot _Grits
          If I was buying an american std strat, I'd go for the later one, as they upped their quality control in the 90s, and added a few cool features.

As for a classic 80s strat tone, if you are really after 'classic' 80s strat tone, get yourself a set of EMG SA pickups. There is nothing more '80s' than a strat with emgs. Back in the 80s, you couldn't move for strats and strat copies with EMGs. I still see a lot of them around. To complete the picture, get a boss chorus, a roland JC120 and a couple of police records.

I wouldn't call that setup a 'true' classic strat tone, though. To me, the classic strat tones are the 50s alder and ash bodied maple neck strats, the early/mid 60s alder with rosewood board strats and the late 60s slab board strats. 70s, 80s and 90s strats represent a step down from those, tone-wise, Though a decent reissue from the 80s onward will get you close to the classic sound.

Of course, if you really mean 'classic 80s hard rock/metal' when you say 'classic 80s', then grab whatever strat you like the feel of and dump a humbucker in the bridge position.
          thanks man for the great input...I'm actually not into classic 80s metal...I want the feel of 80s pop,rock,soft rock,nearly every song has that classic strat twang&quack tone...I want that...I also have a boss chorus,fender twin reverb and boss od-1 so I think everything is ready except for the strat
          90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
          99' USA Fender Stratocaster
          96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
          79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

In that case, an american standard will suit you very well. But try if you can, because strats have a way of surprising you. I tried over fifty strats of all types and prices before settling on one, and even then I've since replaced it with a cheaper model.
            Originally posted by Jolly
            ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

I have never heard of basswood being called Japanese alder... they are not the same wood. and makers go out of their way to distinguish between the two here in Japan.
              I own several Japanese Fenders, from the 80s, 90s and 2000s. The 80s are my favorites but I have some beauties from the 90s as well... an ExTrad strat and some custom editions. I do own a couple of US made Fenders too so I can compare. I am always on the lookout for older Grecos ... I have 3 strats and all are great, but are the high end models.
              The CIJs I have came with the flimsy electronics whereas my MIJ 80s came stock with full size pots and steel switches plus they 80s FJs I have came with a pencil date written in on the neck butt. My `83 has a sticker on the pickguard that reads pick-up made in USA. Given a choice I will always choose an 80s FJ provided the models are of equal quality... F made / makes so very nice high end guitars but they also make a lot of very average modela... be careful.

Comment

Working...
              X