• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Straplocks - what should i get?

Schaller

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
      Dunlop's have been with me since day 1, and never failed me.
      Same here.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
        Dunlop's have been with me since day 1, and never failed me.
        it still happens more with them though (probably from forcing it out)
        Originally posted by Aceman
        It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I've used both Dunlop and Schaller.

Dunlop:

Pros: push it in, click it's there

Cons: screws work loose, rip wood out, peg sticks out too far from body, puts holes on insides of cases, god forbid you have a guitar like a V where the strap peg is on the back of the guitar, it'll poke you hard every time. ALSO because they push in to release if you hit something on the end, they will pop right out.

Schaller:

Pros: Super high quality construction and ingenious design, even if the release is pulled by accident, the guitar won't drop unless you pull the strap off the button, awesome. It won't release unless you want it to.

Cons: None so far. I can't say anything bad about them.

Dunlop: they are okay at best

Schaller: these things are awesome

Comment

this reassures me as I'm purchasing two sets tomorrow when the shops open again
            Jazzmaster Owner

My eBay Auctions

Comment

I like the Schallers. Fender is marketing those, now, by the way, too. Same thing, just different name. If you're hard up for cash, save those plastic rings that come on the loaves of bread at the store.....
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

black rubber washers work well for me. just force one over the button while the strap is on and they don't come off unless you force it, plus they don't poke you. I never used any other kind of strap lock on my guitars but all of my friends seem to use one strap lock or another and they complain about them all from time to time.
                Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Having used both the Schallers and the Dunlop ones, I prefer the Schallers

Comment

Originally posted by msawitzke
                    I'll second, third, or forth the Schallers. I've got a set on my strat and they work great. I might grab some of those little black plastic things you can get a guitar stores now for some of my other axes. They just slide down over the nob and then you twist them and they 'lock' on. Cheap and easy, just the way I like it!

Mike
                    I had bad luck with those little black plastic things http://www.zzounds.com/item--DNP7007SI.

I used them on a Parker Nitefly and they held the strap on so tight that the screw became loose as the strap moved. After the screw fell out, the wood was stripped so I had to do the tooth-picks with wood-glue trick to get the screw to hold. It worked. Now I use these rubber washer type things that come a beer bottle. They allow the strap to move but keep it on. I didn't much like the schaller strap locks. I'm not sure I was using them correctly but they seemed to jump around too much.

On my other guitar I use a Kepur strap without strap locks. It's some seriously hard material and I have to struggle with it to take the strap off the guitars. http://www.kepur.com/products.html
                    GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                    KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

Here's what I did....

1) For each guitar you own, buy two bottles of Grolsch Lager (the type with the flip-top).

2) Drink the beer

3) Pull the rubber gasket off of the flip top part of the bottle.

4) Pull the rubber gasket over the end of the strap nut whilst the strap is in place.

5) Repeat steps one to four as necessary.

6) Voila! Guitar stops falling off strap, and if you have enough guitars, you haven't stopped falling over from excessive Grolsch consumption yet

Comment

I like the dunlop flush mount staplocks but that's just me
                        Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
                        Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
                        www.gaugeguitars.com
                        Cheers!

Comment

ive had both schaller and dunlops. At first i ahd dunlops then disliked how they had a tednancy to make the strap button poke out more. Should have got the flushmount. well i switched to schallers and i love them, they look better and work better to.
                          Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Hmm...I don't think I've seen the flushmount Dunlops then. I'd stopped using Dunlop for the same reason as you - they poked out too far.

Comment

I've used the DiMarzio cliplock straps, and they work, whether you like them or not is another story, if you get the extra ends then, it kinda becomes a bit more practical to clip and unclip guitars. I still think the sturdiest and best built are the Schaller strap locks, they don't get in my way, and I like them better than the dunlop flying saucer looking thinks, they have a very positive lock, and I have never used those funky looking leather strap locks, maybe the work, maybe they don't. I normally have been very satisified with the Schallers! Agree with the engineering and construction comments ... good design, good materials, good craftsmanship ... great strap lock!
                              ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                              ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                              Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

I fit my Schallers this morning

Very good and worth the money
                                Jazzmaster Owner

My eBay Auctions

Comment

Working...
                                X