Power section of a tube amp question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power section of a tube amp question.

If I run a P.O.D. trough the efects loop of a tube amp. in this case a hot rod deluxe, the amplificatión is a tube amplification (tube quality amplification) or it´s similar to go direct trough a P.A.

I love the clean channel of my amp, and with distortion pedals sounds good but I want to test how could sound an amp emulation for distortion purposes.
    the pod could sound good trough a tube amp to worth the money?
    I mean use the pod as an effect on the effects loop and my guitar directly to the amp, not the pod.
    thank you as always.
    Last edited by mmguz; 05-31-2004, 11:07 AM.

Re: Power section of a tube amp question.

Originally posted by mmguz
    If I run a P.O.D. trough the efects loop of a tube amp. in this case a hot rod deluxe, the amplificatión is a tube amplification (tube quality amplification) or it´s similar to go direct trough a P.A.

I love the clean channel of my amp, and with distortion pedals sounds good but I want to test how could sound an amp emulation for distortion purposes.
    the pod could sound good trough a tube amp to worth the money?
    I mean use the pod as an effect on the effects loop and my guitar directly to the amp, not the pod.
    thank you as always.
    Normally you want to put time based devices in your effects loop...The effects loop is a place in between the preamp and the output section of your amp...The POD would seem to be acting like another preamp and I wouldn't think it would sound good in your loop? Guys normally put things like reverb,chorus,flangers,phase shifters,and delays through their loops,but you could try it..It's not going to hurt anything,but it might add alot of noise and excessive loading after the preamp? Try it and see what happens?

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I agree with the above.

You're better off running the POD as a preamp with your guitar into the POD and your POD into the power amp.

If you put it in the loop, your amps preamp will overdrive the POD, just like an OD/Distortion pedal would (minus the fact that OD pedals have a bypass stomp-switch, which a preamp normally doesn't). It might not sound too keen.

Give'r a go though, it might work out, but I doubt it.
      || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Normally you would plug you guitar in the POD and the POD in the FX Return... like mentioned above.. then u use the pod as preamp and the hr as poweramp
        don't know how this would sound.. I've read the guitarist of fear factory plays a pod pro thru a mesa poweramp
        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

So I can use an a/b box one to use the clean channel directly, and the other option the pod in the return of the effects loop? it could work?

Comment

You need a loop selector, like the Boss LS-2

You put your amps preamp in one loop, and the POD in the other loop.

All the effects that your normally have infront of your amp (wah, distortion), you put infront of the LS-2, and all the effects you normally use in your amps loop after the LS-2. Then you connect the LS-2's output to the power amp input on your amp.

Did you get all that, I think I confused myself.
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

thank´s screamingdaisy, im gonna try, só I don´t have the pod but I´m gonna have it.

Comment

Working...
              X