No announcement yet.

Celestion greenbacks, 4x12 help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Celestion greenbacks, 4x12 help please.

HI all,
    i am in the market for a new 4x12 cab. I have a 100 wat Marshall tube head
    and would like to know what cleans and distorted tones i would get out of a cab loaded with 4 of these spaekers, say to compared to 4 x V30's or GT-75's?

Will they still hold up glassy clean tones at higher volumes or break up and sound dirty?

As for distorted tones, i need tight bottom end and good highs....

Thanks for the advice guys.

Re: Celestion greenbacks, 4x12 help please.

If you're comparing V30's against GT-75's.......Both will provide great bottom end, but the V30's will break up and get Dirty quicker than the 75's. If ya want more clean headroom, go with the 75's....if ya want more dirt, go with the V30's.
    Only The Strong Survive

Comment

The greenbacks have a lovely warm clean tone about them, as do the vintage 30's, and the 75's have a sortof darker tone i find. I would leave the 75's out of the equation and decide between vintage 30's and greenbacks.

Greenbacks being a 25watt speaker will break up quickly when pushed to high volumes, much more so than the 60watt vintage 30's. I however had a chance to compare the two speakers side by side once through a marshall dsl 100watt head, i had my mates marshall greenback AX box and my ENGL vintage 30 box. And the vintage 30's sounded much better for distortions and i prefered them for cleans as well. Especially if you're talking about cleans up at high volumes without any breakup id go the more powerful vintage 30's.

As for the distortion, i found the vintage 30's to be more of a solid sound while the greenbacks had a weaker sortof sound, and i say weaker not because the greenbacks are weak but because the vintage 30s that i had sounded very solid and in your face with gain. But the different boxes also had something to do with it, as ENGL boxes are made a tad more solid than the marshall ones.

Hope this helps.

Id go vintage 30's
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

Greenbacks are very popular for classic rock and the v30 seems to be popular as the all-around speaker. The g12t is very warm with good bass response but not real sensetive in the mid and high areas.
        I like the greenbacks best from these 3. I don't go for a ton of bass and I like it's sensetivity and midrange response.
        My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

I like G12H 30s the best (not the reissues) of all the Celestions I've tried. The V30s don't have the same low end response and are a bit bright and grainy comparatively. G12Ts are even more bright and grainy than V30s; and the G12Ts also have a scooped midrange. Lastly greenbacks are dark and smooth, but they do break up easily as Angus said.

My choice from current production speakers would be Weber Ceramic 12-30s as they're the best G12H clone I've heard. The Chinese made Celestions just aren't up to the same standards as their older speakers.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys.
            Toooo much choice! I do agree that the V30's dont have a big bass response at all.... but do have a big midrange sound, which i do like but they do sound a bit overpowering on that side of things.
            Hmmm It would be good if you could order a cab, say from Marshall or mesa and request mixed speaker options from them.
            Maybe V30's in the top for the midrange and highs and GT75's in the bottom for a bigger smoother bass response.

Comment

Their most popular 4x12 has V30s on the top and G12Hs on the bottom.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by Justice4all
                Thanks for the reply guys.
                Toooo much choice! I do agree that the V30's dont have a big bass response at all.... but do have a big midrange sound, which i do like but they do sound a bit overpowering on that side of things.
                Hmmm It would be good if you could order a cab, say from Marshall or mesa and request mixed speaker options from them.
                Maybe V30's in the top for the midrange and highs and GT75's in the bottom for a bigger smoother bass response.

G1275T a bit harsh in my opinion. I like the Green, or better a Green/G12H30 mix.

Also the new Eminence are getting rave reviews. Perhaps an unloaded 4x12 like a Jenkins cab, and load with ( or mix) what ever you want?
                Playing:
                Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
                Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
                Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
                Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

Had a look at the Avatar site, very cool indeed and great prices!
                  I dont think they ship internationally.... which is a big bummer!!!
                  Would like to order 2 of there 2 x 12 mixed cabs!!
                  oh well, thems the breaks i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust
                    www.avatarspeakers.com
                    Their most popular 4x12 has V30s on the top and G12Hs on the bottom.

That is what Dave at Avatar recommended to me, too. I liked it so much that all of my cabs now have that combo. You can do it with 2x12's also , using one of each. Incredible balance of tone!!!!!.

Comment

Working...
                    X