X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Tone Pots do i need??

hey guys
    how are ya

as some of u may kno, ive just got my new flying v and im goin to do a few little mods to it
    like:
    locking tuners
    graphite nut
    re-arranging which knobs are for vols and tone

but my main question is with respect to the TONE POT
    the one thats in the guitar now - ive noticed as u turn the tone knob down, its not a linear decline. like when i roll the knob just past half way, there is a drastic decline - much more than the other areas of the knob - i hope u get what i mean, its a little hard to explain

i dont like how this works - i much prefer the full linear decline in a tone knob
    also, ive heard that the tone pot is 300k (is that right??)
    what pot would u recommed for me?
    theres a high chance that i might be swapping the 500T pickup for a Custom Custom - what pot would go nicely with that?
    also, on another little point - would u guys think a CC would sound cool in a V? im guessin it will as i like the general EQ of it - but im hoping the bass of the mahog body will boost the CC's low bass content

Thanks for u help guys!!!

Ishan
    Guitars:
    Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
    Amps:
    Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Re: What Tone Pots do i need??

Hello forum buddy....Go with a 500k audio taper pot and 500k linear taper for your tone controls...The linear tapers are harder to get though but I think www.universaljems.com has em? Try to get the best pots you can buy,but avoid the newer Gibson pots at all costs...They don't hold up well and they don't like much heat from your soldering iron...Look for the CTS brand...Check with Brian at Universal Jems..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Re: What Tone Pots do i need??

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
      Hello forum buddy....Go with a 500k audio taper pot and 500k linear taper for your tone controls...The linear tapers are harder to get though but I think www.universaljems.com has em? Try to get the best pots you can buy,but avoid the newer Gibson pots at all costs...They don't hold up well and they don't like much heat from your soldering iron...Look for the CTS brand...Check with Brian at Universal Jems..

John
      Click right here and scroll to the bottom for the linear taper pots...

Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
      X