Preamp/poweramp vs. head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp/poweramp vs. head

I'm looking to buy a new amp now and I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of going the pre/poweramp direction instead of using a head or combo amp are?
    MIM Fender Strat-stock
    Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
    Dean V X- 85/81
    Crybaby From Hell
    Ibanez DE7
    ADA MP-1
    Furman EQ
    Peavey Bandit 112

Re: Preamp/poweramp vs. head

A combo or a head/cabinet-setup is simpler to operate.

With separate pre-/power amps, you get more control. You can tailor your tone by combining diff. pre- and power amps. Using rack effects is simpler too.

I'd go with a head and a cabinet. Rack setups are for fags.
    "Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
    "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

Originally posted by BornToShred
      LOL, I've never heard that before...
      MIM Fender Strat-stock
      Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
      Dean V X- 85/81
      Crybaby From Hell
      Ibanez DE7
      ADA MP-1
      Furman EQ
      Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

:fing25:

Just because you don't know how to operate a rack setup doesn't mean that it's for a "fag". In the past I've used both a rack setup and a head, cab, and pedal board. If you need a lot of different sounds, a rack is the only way to go. Trying to manage a head and pedal board is a serious pain in the a** if you're changing sounds a lot. You also have the benefit of only needing to plug in a guitar cable, speaker cable, and midi cable in order to completely set up your rig.

On the other hand racks have some disadvantages. They tend to be large and heavy. They're also difficult to set up and program, and it isn't easy to come up with new sounds "on the fly".

That being said I'm moving back to a rack system. Despite all the disadvantages and how uncool rack gear is, being able to reconfigure my entire setup by pressing one button is just too tempting.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Rack setups are for fags.
          :fing25:
          Last edited by some_dude; 06-02-2004, 08:39 AM.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I like rack gear for flexibility.

It takes longer to configure and program, but is faster to setup and teardown once configured correctly. With a well setup rack you can connect a few cables and your ready to go.

Another nice thing is that your gear is protected by the rack. Less chance of beer damage or damage from flying bottles and such. Also, all your settings are protected, as the knobs aren't exposed during load in and unloading.

Another plus is rack amps are generally stereo. Good if your into stereo effects like chorus or delay. Along the same lines are stereo line outs. Handy for going direct to board if you don't want/can't mic.

On the other side, if your rig is simple heads can be easier to manage. All you need to do is connect your guitar/pedalboard/amp/cab and your ready to go. Things can quickly become more complicated if you have parts of your pedalboard in your effects loop. There's alot more line loss in a setup like that, as you can easily add 20' or more of cabling to go between your loop and your pedal board.

Lastly, racks are self contained, heads aren't. If you're running a power conditioner, attenuator, a bunch of stompboxes and a rack effects unit into a head, you'll have sh*t dangling all over the place and cables everywhere. If it's all in a rack, it's all contained in a rack. You walk in, plug in, and play.

Lastly lastly, you can get all the benifits of rack mounting stuff with a head, just mount the head inside the rack, or stack it on top when you set up. Plenty of people do it that way, and it works great.
            Last edited by some_dude; 06-02-2004, 08:44 AM.

Comment

What's up with all the :fing25: :ing?
              C'mon, don't take it so damn seriously!
              And FYI, i can use a rack setup.

I like a head and a cab, or combo setup, just because i prefer it simple.
              I use only two sounds; clean and dirty. With a touch of reverb. Most of the time i don't even do any channel switching, but use the volume pot to clean the sound up.

^WTF has this got to do with anything any way?

It's a matter of opinion. I just wanted to say i'd go with a head and a cab, or a combo. I could've been a bit more polite, i quess.

"Dave, what are your thoughts on AIDS?"
              "You're talking about sex, right? Hell, i don't need no aids!" -Dave Mustaine

Comment

I like a head and a cab, or combo setup, just because i prefer it simple.
                I use only two sounds; clean and dirty. With a touch of reverb. Most of the time i don't even do any channel switching, but use the volume pot to clean the sound up.
                The :fing25: has a smile in it.

I more or less plug strait in (I use the Boss GE-7 as a line buffer), and the only effects I use right now is some chorus in the loop.

Guitar -> Boss GE-7 -> Preamp -> Small Clone -> Polychorus -> Power Amp -> Hotplates -> Cabs

But, I still like having my stuff rack mounted, that way I can have my amp, power conditioner, tuner, and attenuators all in one box, and it's all well protected.

I'd like to get ahold of a rack switching unit, that way I can mount my pedals and avoid having to run another 60' of cable for the loop (single out, stereo returns).

Comment

I'd recommend a Digital Music Corp GCX. As far as midi loop switchers go it's about the best bang for your buck. You can also use it to channel switch your amp/preamp. It also uses all buffered loops which means much less noise when using pedals.
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Does this look like something a "fag" would play through?

Comment

MRID....

YES!

Look where the daggone mids are on that graphic EQ! :fing25:

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                        MRID....

YES!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken
                          That looks like the EQ settings for "And Justice for All". It sounds great when you're playing to four walls, but it gets lost as soon as you play in a band. On the Quad or any Mark series, I like to scoop the mids a little with the graphic (I boost them on the other EQ) just so the low end isn't quite so muddy. My guess would be that setting sounds like sh*t.

Comment

MRID!

I will give a little credit though, the mids on the parametric are cranked to ten.

However, cranking them and then scooping them...looks like someone who has no clue what they're doing. There has to be an "in between" setting there that gets the job done.

Comment

The reason you crank one and scoop the other is because the rotary EQ is pre-gain and the graphic is post-gain. By cranking the rotary you get more gain and a thicker sound. You then scoop out the mids you don't need with the graphic to prevent the sound from getting muddy.

Comment

Working...
                              X