Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jimmy Page... Heartbreaker

Originally posted by Kent S.
    Page is a great player, writer, and producer ... his acustic work is clean above par, but he never should have done such a sloppy solo ... but he doesn't have an ego, and so he just left it as is ... it does have a certain energy to it, which is probably what he was going for. Still, I would have loved it if he had played something there with good technique.
    thats exactly how i feel, i totally agree

Comment

I beg to differ I think he played exactly what the song calls for. Technique is not the end all and be all of playing, so much more goes into it. An off the cuff, ragged solo with feel and energy and emotion are much more appropriate to a monstrous amped up overblown blues tune anyday of the week. I think the fact that it has stood up so well over the years is a testament to "perfect" imperfection.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
        It's common Knowledge that Page used a tele and a Supro amp on Zep I
        And a Fender 12 string and tele on stairway.But Heartbreaker is Classic
        Les Paul/Marshall tone !! I can't see how he used anything else? The 1st
        time I pluged my Les Paul into a marshall I found myself playing the solo
        for... You guessed it Heartbreaker! But Jimmy page is a mythical Guy.
        My favorite one is that HE played the solo on ` You really got me'
        Not Dave Davies HA HA LOL !! ( He was in the studio that day)
        Agreed....Les Paul through a Marshall....I grew up on Jimmy Page and others can say what they will about the guy,but he was master of riffs and a magician in the studio..The band didn't too shabby over the years either as a whole...I hear more Zep being played in Florida these days than I ever have.Every station has a "Get the Led out session each day"....
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
          I beg to differ I think he played exactly what the song calls for. Technique is not the end all and be all of playing, so much more goes into it. An off the cuff, ragged solo with feel and energy and emotion are much more appropriate to a monstrous amped up overblown blues tune anyday of the week. I think the fact that it has stood up so well over the years is a testament to "perfect" imperfection.
          Reread my post please, I would have *liked and perferred* that he had played something with clean technique ... I thought that it fit the song also, but I still think that every guitarist's should never play sloppy on purpose, other than maybe a *ragged*sounding tremolo picked part, but that's kinda obvious to everyone what you are doing. I have to kinda agree with what you say here, but still imagine if he had played a clean part and how much more the notes would have have made you feel ... although, considering the title of the song, and what's it's about, it does indeed capture a lot of the feelings associated with the subject. ::::::
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

My former teacher saw Zep at the fillmore in the day, and he was using the rick amps for the tour.

I dig heartbreaker, but there are better JP solos. His solos are cool, but his rhythm parts are what impresses me about pagey.
            Playing:
            Thorn, PRS and Kauer Guitars
            Marshall, Greer amps, Metroamp Home Builds
            Duncan Favorites: SM3, 59's, Sat Night Specials....
            Scumback Speakers, V Picks and various other sundries

Comment

I'm down with the solo to Stairway, just not Heatbreaker.

And that main riff in Whole Lotta Love...
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

This certainly beats arguing about politics doesn't it

I see where you guys are coming from we just look at it different, no biggie.
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I saw Zep live three times in the 60's and 70's and I always thought of Page as being a sloppy player. I dug him then and I dig him now. Other "sloppy" players I get off on are Joe Perry, Ronnie Wood, and oh yes, you know it's true, Jimi Hendrix.

Comment

its not sloppy, its human......if you want perfect, you aint ever gonna get it lol
                    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                    >cord<
                    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage
                      This certainly beats arguing about politics doesn't it

I see where you guys are coming from we just look at it different, no biggie.
                      Not necessarily different, as I agree with the whole *impact* of the solo over it's physical technique aspects ... I just wished he had done something a bit cleaner. And yes, Joe Perry has been called a sloppy player (mostly in context with his rhythm playing), but that's what works in what he does, and although that I've never found Ron Woods playing sloppy per se', Hendrix definitely had his moments .. but it's all good either way!
                      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                        Agreed....Les Paul through a Marshall....I grew up on Jimmy Page and others can say what they will about the guy,but he was master of riffs and a magician in the studio..The band didn't too shabby over the years either as a whole...I hear more Zep being played in Florida these days than I ever have.Every station has a "Get the Led out session each day"....
                        Unfortunately due to hearing this song on FM radio everyday for my whole life, I'm burnt out on 'popular' Zep tunes. I finally got smart and turned the radio off.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Heartbreaker solo.... I like it, its rock & roll.
                          "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                          R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                          http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Page about Marshalls : "At the time it was state-of-the-art reliability. They were really good for going out on the road. I was always having trouble with amps-fuses blowing and whatnot"

"At the time...".
                            He's damn right !!
                            Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Working...
                            X