tuning pegs question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuning pegs question

Hey guys, can anyone explain to me the ratios of tuning pegs? On my new Hamer, the stock tuners are very touchy...a microscopic-sized turn is sometimes the difference between too flat and too sharp. I'm looking to try some locking tuners, and I see some are 14:1, some are 18:1, etc. The tuners on my Wolfgang are a little easier to use, as a small turn doesn't have nearly as much of an effect as the tuners on my Hamer. Am I correct in assuming something like 14:1 would be easier to tune with than something like 18:1? And can anyone recommend one brand over another? I'm looking at Schallers, Sperzels, and Grovers. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: tuning pegs question

I'm not sure I can explain the ratio thing too well, but the higher the ratio, the more sensitive it should be. You'll tune up or down more easily/quickly.

The problem you may be having with it being too sensitive might not be the tuners, but rather something with the bridge or nut. Check out the grooves in both places to see that the strings aren't getting hung up. May need to be lubricated or cleaned out. Have a tech check it out in either case if you're not comfortable messing with it, and especially if they have to be cut.

As for the brands, I use Grover locking tuners on my SG, & love them. I have Schallers on my Les Paul, & like them as well.

Jeff
    Last edited by Jeffrec; 06-03-2004, 01:07 PM.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

The ratio = how many times you have to spin the "handle" around for the peg to make one full rotation. 14:1 means 14 turns will turn the peg once, 18:1 is 18 turns, etc ...
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

If the Hamer is a non-trem guitar, you really don't need locking tuners. A proper set-up, and a set of Grover 18:1 regular tuners would be my choice. If it's a trem-equipped guitar, I really don't think ya need 18:1 locking tuners. I'd go with the 14:1. You're not going for wraps around the post with locking tuners. Most of em, ya just pull the string through, clip it off, turn the post a little, and lock it down. So...buying 18:1 locking tuners would be throwing money away, in my estimation. For the locking type, go with either Grover or Sperzel. Also, locking tuners work better( for heavy trem work ), if you're using a Roller nut. .... ps...I play old Les Pauls, and years ago, I used Yamaha 14:1 tuners, because they were more stable than the stock Gibson tuners. Some time back, I switched to the Grover 18:1 regular Rotomatic tuners ( non-locking ). I always keep my Paulys properly set-up, and I have no tuning problems whatsoever.
        Last edited by 59paul; 06-03-2004, 02:09 PM.
        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
          If the Hamer is a non-trem guitar, you really don't need locking tuners. A proper set-up, and a set of Grover 18:1 regular tuners would be my choice. If it's a trem-equipped guitar, I really don't think ya need 18:1 locking tuners. I'd go with the 14:1. You're not going for wraps around the post with locking tuners. Most of em, ya just pull the string through, clip it off, turn the post a little, and lock it down. So...buying 18:1 locking tuners would be throwing money away, in my estimation. For the locking type, go with either Grover or Sperzel. Also, locking tuners work better( for heavy trem work ), if you're using a Roller nut. .... ps...I play old Les Pauls, and years ago, I used Yamaha 14:1 tuners, because they were more stable than the stock Gibson tuners. Some time back, I switched to the Grover 18:1 regular Rotomatic tuners ( non-locking ). I always keep my Paulys properly set-up, and I have no tuning problems whatsoever.
          I agree that you don't really need locking tuners, but I'm mostly looking for faster string changes.

Ryan
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

Ryan, that's very understandable. But remember, it's the QUALITY of the string change that counts. Remember Scott's Thread about re-stringing a guitar??? Adding locking tuners is not a guarantee that your guitar will stay in tune. A proper set-up, and properly wrapping the strings is a much better bet. But,...if you NEED faster string changes, I totally understand. ...
            Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Working...
            X