Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hendrix tone

more specifically on hey joe,

i know he used strat and a plexi, with a dallas arbiter fuzz and a univibe and a vox wah (i think on the fx), but what did he use for the are u experienced? recording of hey joe? that tone is just phenonimal
    Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
    Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
    Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
    Crate VC-3112
    Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
    Fender Bassman 60

Re: hendrix tone

a strat into a 60s Fender....maybe a Twin or a Bassman.....could have also been a Plexi........ either way, it was just strat into amp

you will also need great room presence and reverb to get the feeling he has on that track

if go to the link in my signature you can hear my attemp at his tone (although i wasnt really tryin to cop it, but it kind of sounds similar)..... its my band just jammin to Hey Joe, its not really THAT difficult to get that sound, but there is no way to nail it unless you record with his same amps, guitar, and in the same studio and room
    Last edited by flank; 06-03-2004, 04:39 PM.
    http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
    >cord<
    1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

sounds like a strat into a fender-y sounding marshall. and good playing. although i never liked his tone, live or in the studio.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

that tone always screamed bassman to me,.... maybe it was a jtm45 or a bluesbreaker combo
        i own stuff

Comment

if you liked his tone on that, you'll like his playing on this:
          Hey Joe intro
          that's from the out of print CD, "Live at Winterland"
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

I've read about Jimi using BF Fender combos in the studio along with his Marshall stuff..

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by flank
              a strat into a 60s Fender....maybe a Twin or a Bassman.....could have also been a Plexi........ either way, it was just strat into amp
              According to John McDermott in "Jimi Hendrix Sessions" Chas Chandler said: "...Jimi threw a tantrum because wouldn't let him play his guitar loud enough in the studio. ... He was playing through a Marshall twin stack and it was so loud in the studio that we were picking up various rattles and noises."

QUOTE=Curly]if you liked his tone on that, you'll like his playing on this:
              Hey Joe intro
              that's from the out of print CD, "Live at Winterland"[/QUOTE]

John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

it makes me wonder just how many great guitarists have been told to turn down (like Clapton on the Beano album, for instance)
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

I could swear I'm hearing A Twin on some of those mellower Hendrix
                  tunes?? Mainly cuz' I hear Spring reverb? I don't think the marshall's of
                  the 60's had verb? I realize that they could have put studio plate reverb on
                  in the mix, But there are suitule differencne's between Plate and spring
                  Reverb. To my ears it sounds Springy ?? I ran into Eddie Kramer one
                  day in the Subway !! ( NO B.S.) I wasn't sure if it was him? than he
                  said something and I heard the English accent. I asked him are you
                  eddie Kramer? He said, Yes ! All I said was Oh, pleasure to meet you.
                  I wish I would have quized him about this.
                  http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

yes, Jimi used Twins in the studio
                    "music heals"
                    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                      yes, Jimi used Twins in the studio
                      Thank's Curly I'm sure MR. Kramer is SICK of being quized about
                      Jimi's gear by nutjobs in the NYC subway!! LOL
                      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
                      X