Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth LP. Advice anyone?

Hey Guys!
    I am planning to go all out on a AAA+ or more, flame top LP from warmoth. Those are bolt on necks. And I'd want a 3 HB one : JB/Don't know/Don't know...

Does anyone know if those bolt on LPs from warmoth are as good as Set neck gibson les pauls. Is the playability, sustain, smoothness, tone, thickness, and all that Paulishiousness as good as a set neck LP from gibson?
    I was also considering steel frets - to keep the guitar from ever having to get frets replaced.

I'm also going to have a pull pot to split all 3 Humbuckers into single coils. The other pull pot would enable the middle pickup to whatever is selected (giving me 14 combinations with the splitted coils ... 7 + 7 )

I'm hoping to do this towards the end of the year. Does anyone have any opinion on my idea?

Pickup options might be ... JB/Ant/Ant, JB/Custom/59, JB/59/Jazz, JB/Ant/Seth, etc... (The JB is a keeper for sure... but the other two MUST have 4 conductor wiring.)

Any feedback about my plan please?
    my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
    A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Re: Warmoth LP. Advice anyone?

i would have to say that the playability and sound on bolt necks are better, plus steel frets lead to a brighter more unatural sound to my ears: good luck
    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

I don't know that you can use one push pull to split all three. I might be wrong, but I think that the most you can do is two with one switch.
      Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

every review of a bolt on warmoth LP has been nothing but good. they all say they love the sustain and the playability and the tone and all that. i just built a warmoth strat, and i can definatly say i love the sustain, playability (especially with the '59 roundback profile on the neck) and the tone. so i would say go for it. good luck.
        my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
        fender dg20ce acoustic
        peavey blazer 15 watt
        line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
        Atomic Reactor 112
        Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Comment

Hey Frantic,

I've built 3 Warmoth guitars (a strat and two doublecut LPs). To me, a Warmoth LP and a Gibson LP are two totally different guitars, merely sharing a common body style. That said, I prefer the sound of my Warmoth's to the sound of any Les Paul I've played... the Warmoth's just seem to have a bit more definition and bite. I attribute that mainly to the scale length of my Warmoths (25.5" compared to Gibsons 24.75") and the Warmoths bolt on neck versus Gibsons set neck. Never believe anyone who says a bolt on guitar is an inferior instrument to a set neck guitar. With a tight neck pocket (which all my warmoths have had) the sustain is equal to or better than set neck guitars.

I have no personal experience with stainless steel frets, but I've heard quite a few people having less than stellar experiences with them. A lot of people thought the stainless steel frets made the sound overly bright and tinny. Your mileage may vary on that one, though.

Hope that helps some. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or ask em here.
          -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
          I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

I agree, it's been my observation that a properly designed bolt-on with a good tight neck pocket fit will sustain as well as a set neck. I would advise you not to go with stainless steel frets, as the sound is brighter and somewhat harsh compared to nickel frets. If you really want to extend the life of your frets, go with pure nickel strings. They're softer than regular or stainless steel strings, so they're easier on your frets. I've had my Wolfgang for two and a half years, and I play it on a daily basis. I've used pure nickel strings since I first got it, and the guitar currently has zero fretwear.

As far as splitting the pickups, you can't split all three from one push/pull pot. You may run into some trouble here, if the Warmoth body is the same as a regular Gibson as far as thickness goes. Gibson Les Pauls typically require long shaft pots, which are only available in SPST. I think you can do it if you install the DPDT push/pull pot on a thinner section of the body. I know the Jimmy Page mod requires two DPDT pots, so I guess it's possible. But anyway, a SPST pot can split one pickup, a DPDT pot can split two. What you could do is use three SPST pots, so that you can split each pickup individually. Then wire up a fourth DPDT pot to allow you to select only the middle pickup.

As far as pickups go, I would go with one of the following: JB/'59/Jazz, JB/'59/Alnico II Pro, or JB/'59/Pearly Gates.

Ryan
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

You can get a 24.75" scale neck from Warmoth in the LP headstock. I just built one for a friend of mine and it kills, absolutely kills.

The guitar we built had a chambered LP body (mahogany back, maple top) mated to a rosewood neck with an ebony fretboard. You can't believe the sustain and power this thing has. We loaded it with a JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck. This wood/pickup combo rocks!
              Formerly Michael_D. on the old forum....

Comment

when ordering you will need to tell them if you want 24 3/4" scale length or the standard 25 1/2" sclae length. It affects how they make the neck and route the body. just a little note the remember when ordering.
                Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
                gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
                SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Originally posted by Fatty
                  Hey Frantic,

I've built 3 Warmoth guitars (a strat and two doublecut LPs). To me, a Warmoth LP and a Gibson LP are two totally different guitars, merely sharing a common body style. That said, I prefer the sound of my Warmoth's to the sound of any Les Paul I've played... the Warmoth's just seem to have a bit more definition and bite. I attribute that mainly to the scale length of my Warmoths (25.5" compared to Gibsons 24.75") and the Warmoths bolt on neck versus Gibsons set neck. Never believe anyone who says a bolt on guitar is an inferior instrument to a set neck guitar. With a tight neck pocket (which all my warmoths have had) the sustain is equal to or better than set neck guitars.

I have no personal experience with stainless steel frets, but I've heard quite a few people having less than stellar experiences with them. A lot of people thought the stainless steel frets made the sound overly bright and tinny. Your mileage may vary on that one, though.

Hope that helps some. If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or ask em here.
                  Oh ya I should've known you can't split all 3 with 1 pot... Plus Seths and Ants don't come in 4 conductor - i don't think. I think i'll just keep it simple without any splitting actually - after all its a les paul and is meant to be fat. Good point about the stainless steel frets - i might just go with standard 6130s that are on many Les pauls. Or maybe something taller and bigger - 6150s or 6100 monsters...

Body will be flame maple on Mahogany with white binding.
                  I think the fretboard will be a brasillian rosewood or ebony on a mahogany neck.

Overall its gonna be around 600 for the body, 400 for the neck... 250 pickups, 300 - or so hardware... Wow that adds up actually. I better make lots of money soon!

Aaaah dreaming is nice eh?

Will look something like this:
                  my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                  A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

Originally posted by Frantic_Rock
                    Plus Seths and Ants don't come in 4 conductor - i don't think.
                    You should be able to order Seths or Ants through any SD dealer with a 4-conductor wire. It'll be a "shop floor custom". (I work at a shop that is an SD dealer, and just special ordered some 4-conductor Seth's for myself) If you were really dead-set on it, I'd suggest flying off a PM to Lew or John. They should be able to steer you in the right direction.
                    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

I would try the stainless steel frets. I do not think they add brightness. SS will last forever, not tarnish, etc.

I have a 2-HB warmoth tele w/ an ebony neck and the SS frets. The guitar is anything but bright-even with a JB in the bridge (yes, there is a full steel tele bridge there too). the body is chambered mahogany.

BTW, I would love to build a warmoth LP, and I agree 100% that bolt on guitars can sustain as much as set neck ones.
                      Gibson ES-335 (stock '57 Classics)*Warmoth Tele (PGn/Brobuckerbridge) *Fender American Strat w/DiMarzio Fast Track Is*Fender Princeton Reverb*Martin D-28*Favorite effects-Maxon AD80*80s Ibanez TS-9*80s Boss OD-1*Fulldrive 2*Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive and MicroVibe-Maxon AF-9*Vox Wah

Comment

I have built two warmoths, a VIP style, and a strat hardtail style. I honestly wish I could say they are better than my gibsons, but honestly they are not! I take my LP standard over those any second.

If you want a LP get a LP!

B
                        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Aw man, new GAS attack, just when I thought that things were settling down.
                          "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

My number one guitar is a Warmoth LP. Mahogany with a flame Maple top and maple neck with an Ebony fingerboard 24 3/4" scale. Stainless Steel 6105 frets with cream binding for neck and body. This thing kills. I've had 4 Gibson LPs over a 25 year period and this thing out performs them all. I first had a Mahogany neck with ebony fretboard on it and I think personally I like that deep growl a bit better than the maple neck, but really, it's hard to go wrong.
                            Gregg -
                            Warmoth Guitar Products

Comment

warmoth makes nice stuff, the bolt on will give you a brighter sound - from my experience - might get you a little away from LP territory - but then again it might make you happier

their stuff is very nice. If you want a set neck LP style, PM me, but I'd recommend warmoth. You'll be very happy and enjoy the experience a lot.
                              Custom Guitar Builder - PM me if you're interested.
                              Check out the new website and see the progress of felow forumites' guitars
                              www.gaugeguitars.com
                              Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                              X