Marshall Vintage Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Vintage Series

I plan to pick up a new amp first part of next year.
    The plan is to go to a tube amp, head/cab set up.
    Presently under consideration is the Marshall Vintage Series (JCM800;1959SLP;1987X) and I am interested in opinions of these amps.

Since I am not in a band and see no large rooms in the near future would the 50w(1987X) fill my needs or is there a reason that 100w is preferable aside from the added power?

What other product lines should I be checking out?

I play mostly rock and blues on either Strat or EPi LP.

Re: Marshall Vintage Series

a friend of mine just bought the new Reissue JCM 800 and its pretty nice. Sounds great, and is simple. The thing is it doesn't have a super amount of distortion, but with the styles that you listed it should be good for you. If you need a little more distortion then you should get some type of overdrive pedal if you do not already have one. Personally I prefer natural amp distortion and the reissue has great sounding natural distortion. But i'm not sure how it sounds like compared to an authentic early 80's JCM800 because i've never played one.

Comment

if you play by yourself then id try and find an 18w marshall or an 18w clone. 50w is plenty of power for gigging and overkill for bedroom volumes. a 15-25w tube amp might be a better choice

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
        if you play by yourself then id try and find an 18w marshall or an 18w clone. 50w is plenty of power for gigging and overkill for bedroom volumes. a 15-25w tube amp might be a better choice
        Voodoo Amps, the very best in 100% hand-wired tube amps

Comment

Originally posted by t-wolf21
          I'm not sure how it sounds like compared to an authentic early 80's JCM800 because i've never played one.
          The reissues are very average JCM 800s. I've played older ones (vertical input) that kill the reissues in the tone dept, and I've played newer (horizontal) that you couldn't pay me to play. Overall I'd rather have an older one as you can still find vertical input 800s for about $700-800. My favorite JCM 800 (sort of) is my '88 model 2555. That head destroys every other Marshall I've ever played through.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

50W is always enough, and in my experiences very loyal to their true voice even at lower volumes.

Comment

Okay, 50w is plenty. Now what about the 1987x? Good/Bad/Crap? Any problems inheirant to this particular head?

Comment

1987x heads tend to be a bit bright right outa the box, and with the wrong guitar and setup, almost harsh......but some setups will not sound too bright through them....... however im sure if you think it is a bit bright, you can take it to a trusty tech and i dont know the specifics, but there are a few simply mods involving a few capacitors that will take away much of the brightness if your thinkin it may be a bit bright for you.

otherwise i think they sound pretty sweet, not exactly like the amps their recreating but still very cool and solid marshall tone...
                http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                >cord<
                1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

The 1987x is a sweet amp. I have had 2 jcm800s and a 1987x. The 1987x has a much better clean tone and the distorted sound is more open than the jcm800. The "plexi" tone is famous for a reason.
                  I suggest getting an attenuator because these amps need to have the volume cranked for the good stuff to come out.
                  My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

of those i'd pick the 1987x head. But i'd check out an old blackface fender bassman head if you can find one, I use it for rock and blues, its perfect, and their cheap, and you can mod them really easily b/c thier PTP wiring.
                    '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
                    Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
                    '66 Fender Bassman
                    Fender Champion 600
                    Fender Stage 100

Comment

If you are only going to be using the amp at home, i would advise against getting a 50watt valve amp as jeremy said. They will just be way too loud, and you wont be able to turn the volume past 2 (if you are lucky!). In the case of a 1987 or 1959, those amps dont even have a master volume, so you just will not be able to get any gain out of them unless you also invest in an attenuator.
                      Even a 15watt valve amps are very loud in a bedroom situation, but because valve amps end to sound better, this may be your best way forward.

i would suggest having a look at the thd univalve. It is 15 watts and even has a built in attenuator. If you buy a 2x12 cab to go with it you will have a great setup.
                      Ernie Ball Axis Sport (SD EVH 78/ Alnico 2 Pro)
                      Ernie Ball Silhouette Special
                      Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Dimarzio Air Zone/ SD 59)
                      Gordon Smith Graduate Slimline (Bare Knuckles Stormy Monday neck and bridge)
                      Fender American Series Telecaster
                      Marshall Jubilee 2554 combo
                      Marshall JMP Master Volume Combo
                      Hughes and Kettner Edition Tube 20

Comment

I have a Johnson JM60 for practice. I want the larger amp in anticipation of performing again.

As for mods. If it's simply a matter of adding/changing caps I would probably do those myself. But I really don't mind if the Marshall head were a little bright. One of us needs to be.

Comment

After a quick jump over to the Marshall website I will assume that the
                          1960c[100watt-4x12]cab is the one to go with for this head. I can't see the reason to go with a cab rated at 280watts for a 50watt head.

Comment

Working...
                          X