banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think I may take the plunge into model territory...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I may take the plunge into model territory...

So, I'm a gearaholic, right? So what? I'm thinking of getting myself a Line 6 Pod 2.... but, I don't know for sure that I want it. Line 6 is actually the only modelling amps I've ever extensively used and liked (I've played a few gigs on spiders and flextones) but I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on this. I'd probably use it for recording or maybe giging while one of my amps are out on leave, ya know? Either way, I want my best tones.

I'd like to know how good the Marshall and Vox tones are on this.
    also, how would one go about amplifying said amp modeller? Would I need to buy a power amp and then run it into a cab or could I DI it?
    How much should I look to spend used?
    Should I just get the Line 6 spider?
    What power amps would you suggest? (bare in mind, the last thing I need is another amp cab)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by Indie P Bass; 06-06-2004, 12:11 AM.
    You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Re: I think I may take the plunge into model territory...

I've got a POD (early one) + the FB4 foot controller I'd let go cheap.

Comment

I have a Pod 2.x that I use for direct recording and I can get some fairly deceint tones out of it. The Marshall and Vox tones can be made very believable if you eq them right.

For live work I'd suggest a Pod Pro and a separate power amp and speakers. The foot controller is also a very nice touch. Don't kid yourself into thinking that sticking that red jelly bean on stage and running direct into the PA is going to get you tone. For one, depending on who is running sound that night you will most likely sound like garbage. I have yet to see anyone get killer tone with a Pod directly into the PA. Another problem is your stage level which will have to be pumped back through the monitors. Most guys approach PAs from the Tim Allen school of thinking, which is to say that they load the FOH portion of the PA with "more power" and then ignore the monitor section. Running a Pod into a power starved monitor section to get your stage level will most likely both bury the vocals and leave your stage tone lacking. Even when I play AA stages the monitor mix is usually garbage and thays not the way to go if you really care about your guitar tone.

I'd avoid the original Spider amps, they really aren't the best sounding rigs. The new Spider IIs seem to be a major improvement and the Flextones sound better than both to me. Line 6 is like all other makers and you really need to spend the money to get into the upper lines if you want the best tone.
      www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
      www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

roberts right...

you get what you pay for...?!

that being said...do your self a favor and give the valvetronix and tech 21's a good run to have something to really compare to...
        Originally posted by jeremy
        God hates bad guitar tone
        GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
        AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
        EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
        Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

I use the Roland VG88 ... although I don't like the Pod personally, I've heard some cool Pod tones, as well as cool Behringer tones. Nothing comes close to the Roland, but it costs about 4x what the others do ...
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by jpage
            I've got a POD (early one) + the FB4 foot controller I'd let go cheap.
            How much you want for it? Does it sound good? Is it a V2?

So, say my Vox goes before a show, I take the POD, run it through a power amp and then run that into my Bassman 115, would that sound good?

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to ask, what kind of poweramp would ya'll suggest. I'm not looking to spend more than a few hundred dollars on a power amp, though. Also, let's try another scenario... say I run the out on my POD to my KustomIII for power, could I do that and just set the EQ on the Kustom to 5's all across?
            Last edited by Indie P Bass; 06-06-2004, 01:00 PM.
            You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Working...
            X