Mig50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mig50

Got the amp today after a very long day working on our new office.

Needless to say, the amp, made sometime in the 90's, had it's original tubes in it and they were fried. The perils of ebay. They guy said it "has great tone."

Yep, it does, but only after I put new tubes in it. Borderline fraud. But the amp is in fantastic shape. And witih the new tubes, it sounds like it's supposed to.

It really loves strats.

(for those interested, I put KT66HP's in it, rebiased to 33mv and put a balanced JJ in the V3 and two NOS brimars in V1 and 2. )

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Mig50

Great news and no doubt you will be giving it a thorough going over and also a fuller review in due course. I suppose it really sings with strats and has some nice clean tones.Amazing the guy who sold it to you was able to say it had great tone, probably was deaf?
    Normans Guitars

Comment

Just played the crap out of this amp again tonight. It's a real grinder. More Marshall than Fender. Not really my cup of tea overall. I dont' think I'll be keeping it, but I might just let it sit for a while. It's definitely more JTM45 than 59 Bassman if you ask me. The treble pot is a bit scratchy, but some contact cleaner ought to fix that. The KT66HP's are a great fit in this amp, definitely is part of that Marshall flavor. I think I'll pop some 6L6's in there soon.

Most likely I'll retube it with JJ's and sell it on ebay. More of a hard rock amp. I was hoping for a bit more of a bluesy tone. I tried it into a Greenback Celestion 1x12 and into the 2 Emminence Red Fang alnicos. Iliked the greenback better actually. I should try it with a Vintage 30 before I give up on it. It's got damn good tone. Just not the tone I was after. Nice little amp.

I'm also thinking of giving it a cap job with some good quality Mallory's. See if that helps it at all.

For those of you looking for a good cheap tube head for ROCK, I'd say this might be your amp.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

nice review Scott, even though I've never heard of them.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Not much of a reveiw. After reading my last comments, I'm not sure that giving it a cap job is going to do anything but make it an even better Rock Amp.

Not caps out there are going to make it into a bluesey Fender Super.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

Comment

Scott-

Was this the master volume version or non MV? That circuit is quite versatile, and can certainly do everything from blues to metal.

Comment

Working...
            X