Weird pick-ups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird pick-ups...

I bought an old Mann LP copy just for the sake of putting it back together... So this morning I was recovering from last night's Unearth show and I deceided to clean off all that caked up goo that was on the headstock from a sticker one of the previous owners put there... Then I deceided to clean it and have a peak at the pick-ups... When I removed 'em I realized that the covers weren't soldered anymore so I took 'em off... I was quite surprised... I found single coil pick-ups mounted in a humbucker cover! They were held by the screws on the covers and then mounted on the bottom plate... Really weird IMO, I've never seen anything like that... The neck pick-up sounded quite good tho... they were probably cheaper to produce that way... I included some picks of what it looks like, anybody ever saw something like that or knows about these things....?
    Last edited by Surgeon; 02-12-2009, 03:34 PM.

Re: Weird pick-ups...

Nice looking guitar (well the body anyway). Never ever come across single coils in a humbucker!! So is that how you get 4 wires from a humbucker??
    Normans Guitars

Comment

Hmmm, these may be the Phat Cat Prototypes that were supposedly never made...
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

My old Hondo II LP copy was like that. Thats really when I first started getting into "tone" so I took them apart. But mine werent epoxied in, they just kinda "sat" there.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Norman_T
          Nice looking guitar (well the body anyway). Never ever come across single coils in a humbucker!! So is that how you get 4 wires from a humbucker??

Thanks, it took a while to get back looking good tho... I thought the guitar was in poor shape, turned out it was mostly super-filthy... (body-wise)... I'll have to work a lot on the nut, bridge saddles and redo the whole electronics....

Thanks for the input guys...

Zerb... I wonder who will sue who now...

Comment

Japanese guitars from the 60s and 70s were notorious for pulling tricks like that.
            Jazzmaster Owner

My eBay Auctions

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
              I posted a flamed out LP copy a while back.The pick-ups that I pulled out of it were like that.
              I geuss they couldn't find the right pick-up covers

Yeah but a LP with single coils would be kinda F...up

Comment

how was the unearth show?
                RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                TS 7 (modded)
                Hot Rod 50+ XL
                Framus Dragon 4x12
                V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
                  how was the unearth show?

What do you expect? They were playing with Burnt by the sun (who were really really good) and A Perfect Murder ( A Montreal band who is now signed to Victory, just great).... Just an awesome show, Unearth just keep getting better and better, the songs from the next album were great! They stayed to chat with us at the end, I've seen these guys play about ten times and they just rock more and more and get friendlier and more down to earth every time.... Great night...

Comment

Working...
                  X