Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the TS-9 to TS-808 Mod

Hi-

I've been thinking about doing the TS-9 to TS-808 modification to my tube screamer (it was a reissue, made in mid-90's with Ibanez label).

Here's my questions:

a) What specifically is the change in sound from the op-amp swap?

b) What is the change in sound from the resistor value changes?

c) Are newer 4558's such as the NJM4558D worth using (i.e. are they an improvement over the stock TS-9 chip? Mine is a TA75558P). I saw that these are available through Mouser.

What I'm shooting for is something that will save a little bit of the low end that gets lost with the TS-9, and also to keep the clarity of the notes a little better.

And I was wondering if anyone has liked the sound after just changing the resistors without changing the chip.

(obviously, i'm aware that i could spend some more money and buy any of a number of different overdrive pedals instead, but i'd like to see if this mod does the trick first)

Thanks!
    Check out the website for my band, Wilgus

Remember... If you're not angry, you're not paying attention!!

Re: Questions about the TS-9 to TS-808 Mod

For the price do the mod or have it done. I just did mine this week
    with the TI RC4588p chip canged the output resistors to 808 specs
    and did the drivre circuit mod
    Sounds 10000000% better
    I'm sure Stratdeluxer will chime in, he's the one that helped me out
    Great guy to deal with
    1997 Roadhouse Strat
    2005 Eric Clapton Strat
    2007 Martin 000-28EC
    2007 Parts-o-Caster

Comment

I can Field a few of your ?? But Stratdeluxer is the Expert on this matter.
      I just did the mod to my TS-5. I find it to smooth out the tone ,And you'll
      get more clarity. As far as the op-amp I used the JRC 4558 I got from
      Smallbear Electronics. The two resistors I believe lower the voltage that's
      going to the Op amp ( I don't rememeber the values off hand) If I'm wrong
      John will set me straight At anyrate it's a great mod!! And don't
      forget a 8-pin socket for the Op-amp.
      http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

The TS9 uses a 470 ohm resistor and a 100k...The TS808 used a 100 ohm in place of the 470 ohm and a 10k in place of the TS9s 100k...The 808 mod gives your pedal a bit more output and gain and also sets the correct impedence match between your pedal and a tube amp's input...The mod is not something that jumps right out at ya but there is a difference in that the 808 always has this little something extra in it's tone?Both of these resistor mods are in the output stages of your Tube Screamers and not the opamp itself..

I've been messing around with older 1980s JRC4558D s and the recent NJM JRC chips that I too get from Steve at Small Bear and Mouser electronics..I personally can not sit here and tell you that I hear the difference in blind fold A/B tests...It's not the opamp on it's own that gives the series great tone because there are other cap and resistor mods that can be performed to the circuit for more lows and more gain...There's an awful lot of hype around with the JRC chips..I also like the TI RC4558P chip and I also use these in alot of my mods,and not just on Tube Screamers..
        Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 06-06-2004, 07:10 PM.
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Working...
        X