power amp tubes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power amp tubes

hi guys, i have a crate turbo valve 60 amp and i need to change the power tubes and since it's an auto adjust bias amp i'd like to know what is the difference between 6l6gc 5881 and el34 tubes, it is currently equiped with 5881 tubes, which i believe are a stronger version off the 6l6gc, correct me if i'm wrong, any advice whould be greatly appreciated...
    keep on rockin

Re: power amp tubes

Originally posted by maxpower
    hi guys, i have a crate turbo valve 60 amp and i need to change the power tubes and since it's an auto adjust bias amp i'd like to know what is the difference between 6l6gc 5881 and el34 tubes, it is currently equiped with 5881 tubes, which i believe are a stronger version off the 6l6gc, correct me if i'm wrong, any advice whould be greatly appreciated...
    Actully, 6L6GC are the "hotter" version of the 5881. They have more output/wattage handling and to me the 6L6GC sound tighter.

6L6GC: Smooth sound, thumping bass, sweet highs, tight bass.
    EL34: Rich in Mids/Mids-highs, crunchy when driven hard, not as much bass as 6L6s but tight.

Also.. your amp wouldnt be audo adjust bias. It would be a "fixed" bias.. which means you can only use 5881 or 6L6GC Tubes. You cant use EL34s as it would damage the transformer since they draw more current then 6L6GC/5881.

For 6L6GC, I'd suggest you go with either SED Svetlana 6L6GC or JJ 6L6GCs. If you order the JJs. Contact Bob and ask him for a "hot" matched pair of JJ 6L6GC. Those tubes will make your amp's bias a little more hotter and make the sound more warm. Fixed bias amps tend to have a cold bias settings, which can somtimes make the sound harsh & stiff sounding.

hope that helps,
    Duke
    Last edited by Duke of Metal; 06-06-2004, 07:02 PM.
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Re: power amp tubes

6l6s sound way to gritty for me. not as warm as i like but thats just me. you can get you amp tweaked so that it can accept el34s. thats what i would do. el34s kick ass.
      Down at the edge, close by a river.
      Close to the edge, round by the corner.
      Close to the end, down by the corner.
      Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

Working...
      X