Most underrated piece of gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most underrated piece of gear?

I know, it's been done before, but it's fun.

For me, it's the Fender custom Vibrolux reverb amp. A partially handwired, custom shop (Bruce Zinky) designed screamer. A sort of a brownface/blackface hybrid clean that is nice and fat with single coils, and a fat, sweet cranked overdrive with nice presence. Nice tube reverb and trem, too. 40 pounds dripping wet, and killer into a 2x12. Most importantly, the midrange character of this amp is such that it can cut through a mix, something even some classic fenders can come up short on.

You can hunt them down in blonde tolex, too. I'm told they were made in the custom shop for the first three years.

What about you?
    Originally posted by Jolly
    ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Re: Most underrated piece of gear?

A couple of them.....1) Graph-Tech saddles; most amazing improvement to a guitar that can be made. 2) Roland Space Echoes RE101, 201, 301 and 501; Nothing's been made since that sounds quite like them. Just ask Brian Setzer. 3) Scholz R & D Power Soak; Made screaming Marshall Amps listenable again.
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

My Yorkville Traynor Custom Valve 40W 1X12 amp. I got it new for little bit more than $400 while ago. Now that's the amp that found me the beauty of single coil sound and the joy of playing fender. It's my workhorse amp that I play daily.
      "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

Graphtech Rocks!!!!!!

But most under-rated piece of gear.... a guitarists fingers...

Comment

Originally posted by diggamark
          Graphtech Rocks!!!!!!

....Yes, they do!
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Graptechs saddles!
            It´s so sweet...

Comment

If it was Kirk Hammett, it'd be his Crybaby... oops

My Dean Chafin Del Sol. Great feeling, looking and sounding axe. It screams blues and rock and roll. It's my favorite just because it's different enough to keep around. A great semi-hollowbody isn't easy to find (Gretsch for instance, puts out 3 grand guitars that play worse and sound worse than a guitar that costs half as much as mine). Of all guitar makers, I chose a metal guitar company to buy a semi-hollowbody guitar from, but it rules. I have no desire to ever play a Gibson after this thing.
              Originally posted by kevlar3000
              I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
              Originally posted by Zerberus
              Better is often the enemy of good
              Originally posted by ginormous
              Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Many of the newer Korean made guitars. Some of the Washburns, Samicks, and others actually surprise me, when I pick them up. For the price of some of them, the sum of their parts would be as much as double the retail price, if sold individually.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

probebly compressors. if you have a good one it can make you clean tone sound amazing!
                  Down at the edge, close by a river.
                  Close to the edge, round by the corner.
                  Close to the end, down by the corner.
                  Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

a new properly cut nut. and new tuners. People under-estamate the importance these two play in staying in tune. A properly cut nut, even if its plastic, can stay in tune, even under the heaviest of trem use.
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

A good ol reliable TS-808 !!!!
                      Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                        A good ol reliable TS-808 !!!!
                        Yeah! No joke!

Personally, (second to the TS-808, of course...) I'd say the MT-2. People bash on that consistently, and it's tone really isn't that bad when you learn it's parameters!

Comment

a guitar built by godin (same guys as seagul, and some others)

crate vintage club amps, 200-400 for a combo, pushing 500 for a head and matching cab. im under the impression its an ac30 clean channel and a plexi gain channel, circuit wise......either way, its def. got the ac30 clean chime, and its got some ballzy gain, not metal, but ballzy, gritty, saturated tube distortion. so what if isnt handwired, it can kick a peavey, hot rod, or marshall tube combo for versatility and tone, and even some higher end amps.
                          Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                          Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                          Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                          Crate VC-3112
                          Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                          Fender Bassman 60

Comment

Honestly... I'd have to say pickups. I think we pickup swappers are still in the minority as far as guitar players go. Good pickups can improve even the most basic of guitars.
                            -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
                            I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Originally posted by Fatty
                              Honestly... I'd have to say pickups. I think we pickup swappers are still in the minority as far as guitar players go. Good pickups can improve even the most basic of guitars.
                              I'm amazed at the amount of guitarists that give me odd looks when mentioning aftermarket pickups..... which is really weird when most would probably put aftermarket parts in their cars, but not consider it for their guitars...

Comment

Working...
                              X