Stringthing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stringthing

On my guitars, I use strings. I like the shiny new ones. But the day after I use them, they start turning blackish. I've lived with this problem for years, cuz I don't really care. Would anyone care to enlighten me as to why this happens? I do use string cleaner/lubricant, and I wash my hands often before touching my guitar.

Re: Stringthing

just sweat, wear, and corrosion. It'll happen, no matter what. But it seems that your sweat is more corrosive than others, usually means you eat alot of fast food or do alot of drugs.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Maybe there is dirt on the neck?? frets??

Also, as weird as it sounds, I've actully noticed some strings brands to turn black faster then others. I mean, they are all made by the same factory, just different package, etc..

I noticed that GHS strings for some reason turn black and rust up faster then D'Addario.. even thought I used the guitar about the same amount of time for rehearsals and gigs. Also noticed that GHS strings seem to break up faster. When I was using them, I must have broke about 2 high Es and 1 low E (yes, low E). With D'Addarios, I've never broken a string at all.

Duke
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Next time you change the strings clean the fingerboard thoroughly. If it is rosewood or ebony use lemon oil. Take a small amount of Lemon oil and wet the fingerboard, then go over the entire fingerboard with very fine steel wool and "buff the board and the frets with the steel wool. If it is a Maple board, tape off all of the fingerboard before applying the steel wool. If you don't the steel wool will remove the finish on the board. Wipe off all the excess and restring the guitar with D'Addario EXP strings. The EXP have a corrosion inhibitor coating on the strings. It should keep the strings cleaner longer. I have tried these strings and they work, but I did not like the way they felt under my fingers, but it is worth a try!!
        Last edited by Bludave; 06-08-2004, 01:27 PM.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Could be also that you're getting old strings. Even though they're " new, in the package " doesn't mean that they're fresh. Try buying strings from a different place, and see if it helps. I always buy my strings from the same shop. They sell a lot of strings, so they always have fresh stock. I tend to stay away from the places where the strings stay on the shelf for long periods of time. Anyway, just a thought. .........
          Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by Number One
            But the day after I use them, they start turning blackish.
            I have the same problem with my Telecaster. It is a MIM Agave Blue/Maple neck Tele. I use GHS strings and they turn black pretty quick considering I don't sweat much while playing. I keep the guitar in it's case whenever it's not in use also. I think it's got to be the brand of strings, since other people are having problems with GHS strings turning black too. Time for a change...
            7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Working...
            X