No announcement yet.

First PRS now Tokai - Gibson Lawsuits!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First PRS now Tokai - Gibson Lawsuits!!

I avoid Gibson and PRS like the plague.

Something about my punk rock upbringing keeps telling me to avoid everything that's popular. I bought an Epi Gothic LP Studio, but that's because everyone else seemed to be want Mustangs and Jaguars (that, and none of my friends liked the Epi).

I'm kinda two sided on this issue. Part of me says that it's right for Gibson to defend it's copyright and protect it's designs. The other part of me says that Gibson is being a party pooper.

Before, Gibson really didn't have to worry much, because their guitars were pretty superior to their cloning competition. But now that their competition is producing equal or superior products and half the cost or less.....

I'd like to add that the Godin single cut rocks, and their new Freeway series (Super Strat types) play pretty hot.
    Last edited by some_dude; 06-08-2004, 12:38 PM.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Gibson has the right to protect it's market share just as any other company in any industry. Here is a wake up call to all Americans: YOU LIVE IN A CAPITALISTIC SOCIETY!

How can you be surprised when companies take actions for financial reasons? They are not in business to lose money nor do they exist to make you feel good about them or yourselves. If you think this then the advertising department has really done a great job of brainwashing you into BUYING into the illusion.

People, just keep it real when you read articles like this. I'm not pro-corporation or pro-consumer, I'm just trying to be pro-reality.
      ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Hey, not that I agree with everything that Gibson does or makes (far from it), but if someone were copying MY designs and profiting LARGELY from it, I would think I would be entitled to, and would want a chunk of it.

You can't blame Gibson for wanting to protect what is theirs. The look of a Les Paul is undeniably Gibson.

I love the Tokais and many of those Japanese lawsuits (that's an "Orville by Gibson" 62 re-issue SG in my Avatar there - great guitar), but I have always wondered how they got away with it in this country.

My 2 cents.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Rig: Gibson SG's > Peterson Strobostomp > Guyatone SV-2 Slow Volume > Voodoo Labs Microvibe > MXR '74 Phase 90 > Barber Tone Press > Barber Tone Pump > Skreddy Pink Flesh > Boss DM-2 > Maxon GE601 Graphic EQ > Reverend Kingsnake
        buggjuice.net
        MySpace: Mac-P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

If Gibson would spend more time on quality control and realistic pricing and less time in the courts and moving factories around like monopoly pieces, then the world would be a better place. Let's all join hands now.

Comment

I'll never buy a %¤"&%"# Gibson that was not made in the 50's or 60's.
            That new The Emperors new clothes they make is just pooh.
            At least Fender makes real highend stuff in their Customshop.

Comment

[QUOTE= Flying V series, SG series, ES series and Explorer series, court Since sellers. The Gibson suit also names as defendants New Jersey-based Godlyke Distributing Inc., The Guitar Cellar of Lexington, Ky., and Musictoyz.com of Maine.

press about cases currently under litigation, and Gibson attorney Jay S. Bowen of

Comment

[QUOTE=terry m finegan][QUOTE= Flying V series, SG series, ES series and Explorer series, court Since sellers. The Gibson suit also names as defendants New Jersey-based Godlyke Distributing Inc., The Guitar Cellar of Lexington, Ky., and Musictoyz.com of Maine.

press about cases currently under litigation, and Gibson attorney Jay S. Bowen of[/QUOTE]
                ?? - could you expand please (oh and welcome to the forum)
                Normans Guitars

Comment

we have our own opnions

undefined

. The Gibson Single cut Les Paul in my humble opinion has it in spades.
                  sound mystique are not one of the selling factors the signature series
                  I finally plopped down the Benjamins, in a hefty pile to get my 2003 standard
                  slim 60's neck, when the flammed maple heritage cherry case arrived i opened it like a childs first christmas, it was a stunning piece of wood decked out in that multi-faded colors like a great harley. Thats been custom painted and chromed/plugged in the guitar was everything i ever dreamed it would be
                  i opened the electronic bay and the wiring was just as nice as the rest of this guitar. i attached an ohm meter to see how the pots responded and checked the guitar resistanceh e humbuckers) now going over it no it wasnt perfect,if it were ebony it night have been/but its a les paul a prs is a single cut
                  not a LP alright the inlays on the fret board are not genuine pearl/ but this i can say the nut has verysmall slots for the strings and the tune-o-matic bride is the same and no strings find there way off to one side i gave $1600 but i'll take it to my grave/now i have 6 guitars that add up way over $1600 and none sound anything like this one, i let a service tech who plays plug it in he was buy to fix my T.V he called and said i'll give ya $2000 right now lol no-way for i had waited a long ime for i like alot of different stuff
                  it's far from perfect it's a gibson like it or not the corvette of guitars

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                    I don't think you're going to have to worry about that. I still see PRS Singlecuts on the shelves for decent prices, so I don't see them pulling the line anytime soon. After all, it's one of the better selling guitars they have out and I'm sure they'll find some way out of all the damages Gibson's doing to them.

I just wish Gibson overall would make better products. Quality control completely blows and that's unacceptable. I will admit that a few guitars I've played (and the LP Standard I own - chose it out of a ridiculous amount, are incredible instruments). However, finding a Gibson that doesn't have any flaws is very difficult. If you're going to sue half the world, atleast put out a good product. Jeez...
                    Actually, the new Gibsons are top notch quality as they finally got their act together. I didn't have to look long before I bought my 2003 LP Standard. This is hands down the best guitar I have owned and I have owned plenty. The thing is, it is important to buy guitars that inspire you to play. I've had USA Hamers, USA Peaveys, Ibanez, Fender, Dean, etc.....but not one can touch the HUGE vibe and boost in inspiration that I feel every time I plug in my LP. That to me, is worth the price of admission. This just the way I feel so I get annoyed if someone hates me for playing a Gibson. Sorry, but I chose based on feel and tone....not the name on the headstock! I avoided Gibson like the plauge for years till I actually spent some time with some LPs and there was no denying....it was the guitar for me.

If anyone has any suggestion on a guitar that plays like an LP and sounds like an LP from another company......I am all ears. I promise I'll check 'em out. I am always looking! I stil have to head out to try a Dean Hardtail as I hear they are phenominal.

Comment

WARNING

Lets not start any this is better than that in this thread. This thread was all about what Gibson may or may not do to Tokai and the actions that have taken place with PRS. I have my own personal opinions on Gibson, PRS, Hamers and Fenders but will keep that view for another time.
                      Normans Guitars

Comment

Good call Norman! This thread did start to take a sour turn.

Comment

Working...
                        X