ESP vs. Gibson vs. Yamaha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESP vs. Gibson vs. Yamaha

I went to Chuck Levin's World of Music today to check out some guitars that I could use my graduation money on. Of the selection that they had, I was most impressed by the new ESP LTD's (Viper-1000, EC-1000, GL-Tiger, M-302) and the new Yamaha AES line (720, 620, and the Frank Gambale model). With all these good guitars in the $500-800 price range, it seriously got me thinking about buying one instead of the SG Standard I've been GASing for.

Of the guitars I liked, I was most pleased by the EC-1000, Viper-1000, and AES720. They all played as well if not better than all of the Gibsons I tried out today. They also came with pretty good stock pickups (EMG's, Duncans, or DiMarzios) and were well within my price range.

I've been GASing for an SG Standard for a couple months now and have been planning on buying one. However, a brand new SG costs a little over $1000. Gibsons have better resale value compared to the Korean ESP's and Yamahas I tried.

So, with all this in mind, tell me what to do. Should I cave in and get a cheaper ESP/Yamaha, or stick with the SG?
    Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
    Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
    Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
    Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
    Marshall G15CDR
    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    Marshall 1960A
    Boss ME-50
    ...and just a little talent.

Re: ESP vs. Gibson vs. Yamaha

Well, I'd go for the one guitar in that store that pleased you the most soundwise, lookswise, whatever... If resale value is an issue, go for the Gibson... If you look at my avatar you'll notice which way I went but I won't try to preach for any of these brands... If you want a great player, just play all the ones you can and pick the one that satisfies you the most, regardless of the price tag (as much as possible) or the name on the headstock. If you plan on selling it, get the SG...

Comment

i woudl say to go try a bc rich nj without a speedloader if u can find one. but ill give another vote for the gibson.
      we can be heroes

Comment

Let it sink in for a few days and see which guitars you go back to most in your mind. Then go back and play them again. They're all fairly popular guitars, readily available so they're in no danger of disappearing any time soon.

I am biased towards Gibson but I have nothing against any of the guitars you're talking about.
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I'd say go for your dreamguitar. You won't regret it later on. I think a Gibson SG is one of those guitars you won't sell so soon and can be proud of every time you pick it up. Ironicly that's the one with the biggest resale value but I wouldn't let that help you make your decision unless your name is Gearjoneser.

Comment

My vote is for the guitar that moved/inspired you the most. Regardless of brand.
            Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
            https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
            Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

If it were me, I'd avoid the Gibson. The Gibson's biggest advantage is the fact that they retain their original value and you can sell it later on if you want to. I don't know why anyone would ever buy a guitar with the intent to sell it, however. If you walk into a situation thinking "I'm going to just sell this down the road..." then you're probably getting the wrong instrument. Buy the one you assume you'll play for the rest of your life.

I know that sounds permanent. Treat it like your decision IS permanent. Don't make up your mind in a day or two. Sleep on it and come back in a couple weeks. I've had a couple times where I bought an instrument for pure animal lust and I had to sell it a loss. In any of those cases, I didn't give myself the time to contemplate my purchase beforehand.

As far as quality goes, you can't go wrong with any of those brands. To assume that Gibson ALWAYS has better quality simply because it's Gibson and Gibson can be the only correct guitar is guitarist-bigotry. It's a shame some people think like that because they keep going back to Gibson and keep shelling out thousands and thousands of dollars when a quality guitar can be had for hundreds less.

Then again, this is all just MY point of view. You can do whatever you like and if you know deep down inside that the SG is the one you want, then GET IT. You have to choose the one that's absolutely right for you... pick the one you won't ever want to abandon down the line. If that's the SG, then go for it.
              It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
              - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Definitely go for the gibson! If its the guitar you've been wanting for ages then dont change your mind, because you might end up getting something else but not being totally satisfied with it........like i was with my 137

A les paul has always been my dream guitar, its the guitar that most inspires me when i see it and i always knew that if i could have one guitar only, it would be a les paul. It was just the guitar for me for ages, but then when the time came and i was able to get one i went off on a silly tangent and got an es137! Which was a lovely guitar, but it didnt do it for me like i wanted a top end purchase guitar to do, i was playing my jackson more! When i looked at it i started thinking to myself "gee i shouldhave got that les paul". So luckily as fate would have it there was a binding fault on the 137 and that gave me just cause to return it and i swapped it for a les paul standard.......mmmmmmm

Morale of the story.....if you have the chance FOLLOW THE GAS!
                My Soundclick page.

Comment

Grab the Gibby, in the end you'll know what you did was right! It's a classic!

At worst, like some already said - you could sell it.... I guess.

Comment

WTF? He should grab the Gibby because it's the most popular? If anything, that just means you'll be playing the same guitar as everybody else. Why spend hundreds more on a guitar simply because it fits someone else's criteria of "classic". If you do get the Gibson, get it because you like it the most. As I said before, the only thing the Gibson is inherently better at than the others is resale value. That's a pretty piss-poor reason to buy anything.
                    It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
                    - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Originally posted by kill your scene
                      WTF? He should grab the Gibby because it's the most popular? If anything, that just means you'll be playing the same guitar as everybody else. Why spend hundreds more on a guitar simply because it fits someone else's criteria of "classic". If you do get the Gibson, get it because you like it the most. As I said before, the only thing the Gibson is inherently better at than the others is resale value. That's a pretty piss-poor reason to buy anything.
                      kill your scene nailed it pretty much.

Those guitars never started out as "classics". Les Pauls weren't even popular in the beginning, if people just saw Strats and never touched Les Pauls... there probably would be none around today

Inspiration is the main thing. You want a guitar that calls to you. Everytime you see it you have the urge to pick it up and play. You want the shape of the body and the neck to conform and mold with yours. You want the pickups to deliver the sound in your head. The idea is to pick a guitar with no restrictions. If you're fighting a guitar, you're not gonna be the best player you can be, that's the bottom line.

Gibson, FWIW, does make some great instruments. I've played some really bad ones, but I'm hearing that Gibson is making some better stuff nowadays. I know when I was searching for a Gibson Les Paul Standard, I had to try out a ton of them before I found the "perfect" one.

It's all about what you really want. Don't make compromises. I think that too many musicians do that and in the end, they aren't happy. The best thing you can do as a musician is to know what you like, know what you're looking for, and keep trying stuff until you find it If that means you like a $500 guitar, then you've found your dream piece for much cheaper than a lot of people that shop by brand name
                      Originally posted by kevlar3000
                      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
                      Originally posted by Zerberus
                      Better is often the enemy of good
                      Originally posted by ginormous
                      Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

When it comes from playing the guitar it is everything but the shape or brand. It is fretboard, scale length, pickups, tuners and so...

So I would just buy the BEST guitar you can afford. Because in the end what you want to do it is to play with it, enjoy the sound and the way it feels. If it that is the SG then go for it, and if it is anything else, go for it too. So just buy whatever you think it is the best.

Comment

avoid yamaha, gibson is decient but u have to spend alot to get a good gibson(tokai is good i've heard) and esp is good for the price
                          Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
                          The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Choose based on what you like! I, of all people am known for asking a zillion questions when only I know the true answer. When I was looking for an SG....I tried all the copies such as the Viper, but I felt the SG seemed to have the better tone and feel IMHO. I ended up not buying the Gibson SG and ended up buying a few Hamers which I have since sold for a 2003 Gibson LP Standard which is my favorite guitar at the moment. I play the ESP EC Deluxe and Standard series all the time (local stores) but to me the LP and SG play and feel worlds better. Gibson is turning out dynamite guitars at the moment and have really stepped up quality 10 fold since 2002. I couldn't be any happier with my LP. I am also considering an SG Standard and all of the new models have been top notch. You can also get them for a little under a grande and hold terrific value. Good luck! Use your hands, ears, and eye. Don't worry what is on the headstock. I just chose the LP because they have always spoken to me and it was about time I took the next step.

Comment

deffinately let it sink and and what you keep thinking about after a few days or weeks, get that one.
                              esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                              fender mim standard strat
                              peavey classic 30
                              johnson j-station
                              original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                              dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                              yamaha f-310p acoustic
                              taylor 410 acoustic
                              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Working...
                              X