"My name is Curly, and I like blue strats"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "My name is Curly, and I like blue strats"

Uh ... I availed myself of the current $100 rebate program.

c'mon, I had to!

"music heals"
    facebook

Re: "My name is Curly, and I like blue strats"

curly, thats really nice. We have one at my local shop thats chrome blue, but it has a maple board, and I've got enough maple boarded strats already. Pluse I cant afford it.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Congrat. $100 rebate got me too and yes I had to!
      "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

"whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

Comment

thanks, beandip

yeah, it's a deeper blue, although I can't quite capture that

it's light, which is a big deal for me, has a fast neck, and heck, it's blue

I didn't know that they wired the bridge pickup for tone now, which is the way it should be... no mod needed, and the mid position sounded surprisingly good, too.

this just might be a keeper!

Peace,
        G
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Originally posted by brisk
          Congrat. $100 rebate got me too and yes I had to!
          I like good deals - I jumped on it the first day - well, it was my birthday, darnit!
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

All right Curly.....Another beauty blue guitar...Nice touch buddy...I was looking at the same guitar this morning in a lefty Curly? Hmmmmm.....How are the pickups and the guitar overall? I'd love to know...Enjoy it.Blue is my favorite color also..

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Wow that's a sweet color blue, man!

Comment

Sup Curlz!

Thats awesome. I want one just like that. I will end up having many many strats (i have a feeling...)

Right now I'm very happy with my highway 1, but I also want a rosewood one, a blonde one, a floyd one (with HB at bridge), a Warmoth SRV one with 1 7/8 neck and 12s on it, **** dale sig, Clapton Sig, etc... oyyy....

For urs hmm in order of importance:
                1. Tex hots (or something similar)
                2. Graphite saddles
                3. Locking tuners
                4. Shielding
                5. Series switch
                my youtubes Instagram Medium blog
                A few original tunes: "The Grand Eclipse" and "Timeless Moments"

Comment

OK, so when I want to get rid of my MIM Strat, all I need to do is paint it blue and show it to you???

That is a sweet looking guitar. How do you like that bridge compared to a Gotoh-Wilkinson?

Sure enough, the American Deluxe Strat wiring uses a jumper so Tone 2 is in the circuit for positions 1-4. Looks like the underside of the whole pickguard is shielded too.

Chip
                  Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                  Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                  Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                  SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                  SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                  "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

thanks, you guys, I appreciate it!

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                    All right Curly.....Another beauty blue guitar...Nice touch buddy...I was looking at the same guitar this morning in a lefty Curly? Hmmmmm.....How are the pickups and the guitar overall? I'd love to know...Enjoy it.Blue is my favorite color also..

John
                    John,
                    thanks

well, the first thing I did was pick it up - bingo! nice weight, we're in business!

Pickups sound great to me actually - maybe I'm not that picky, but I've always thought a regular ol' American strat is just one of the best deals there is ... the tone is right there, nice and plucky, and overdrives sweetly on 10. The surprise was the tone wired for the bridge the way I like, and the mid pickup sounded real good, both for rhythm & lead. I don't know about you, but I hardly ever use the mid position, so that's a plus.

I really need to get 10s on there to give it the acid test, 'cause I just can't lean into 9's like I'm used to doing.

something very minor - I may adjust the saddle heights a little - the high E seems a little low, and the action going from B to E seems just a little out of balance. I'll have to look at my other Fender strat to compare. I'll probably change out to 10's first, though..

neck is a tad thin, but I think I can live with it.

I confess... new guitars make me feel like a little kid.

Peace,
                    G
                    "music heals"
                    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
                      thanks, you guys, I appreciate it!

John,
                      thanks

well, the first thing I did was pick it up - bingo! nice weight, we're in business!

Pickups sound great to me actually - maybe I'm not that picky, but I've always thought a regular ol' American strat is just one of the best deals there is ... the tone is right there, nice and plucky, and overdrives sweetly on 10. The surprise was the tone wired for the bridge the way I like, and the mid pickup sounded real good, both for rhythm & lead. I don't know about you, but I hardly ever use the mid position, so that's a plus.

I really need to get 10s on there to give it the acid test, 'cause I just can't lean into 9's like I'm used to doing.

something very minor - I may adjust the saddle heights a little - the high E seems a little low, and the action going from B to E seems just a little out of balance. I'll have to look at my other Fender strat to compare. I'll probably change out to 10's first, though..

neck is a tad thin, but I think I can live with it.

I confess... new guitars make me feel like a little kid.

Peace,
                      G
                      That's great buddy...Yep...I had to go heavier on my strings and bring the action up on my American Deluxe strat also...I Love the 9.5" radius and the rounded neck at the fingerboard on these strats...Glad the pickups sound good right off.Leave em in there and see if they continue to grow on you? Maybe they got it all right on that one? Very cool indeed...

John
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
                        That is a sweet looking guitar. How do you like that bridge compared to a Gotoh-Wilkinson?
                        Chip
                        Chip,
                        I actually like the AS bridge. I have a Texas Special strat - I just put some graphite on the saddles, and it's fine, but I have a pretty light touch on a trem - I just use it in a surfy way for chords mostly. I haven't tested this guitar's trem, but I'm sure it's exactly the same.

I checked Fender's specs, and it doesn't really say that the bridge has the bridge wired for tone, so you probably wouldn't know unless you played it. It also says the bridge is wound hot, the way we like it!
                        "music heals"
                        facebook

Comment

My 82 'The Strat' is Lake Placid Blue, which is a little deeper in color...My Ernie Ball is Pearl Blue, and my Brian Moore is blue too. I don't know what it is a bout that color I really like.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Curly = my hero. End of discussion
                            7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

well, you guys are all really nice!

after round 2 of playing, I'd say the new ones give you usable tone in all 5 positions straight outta the box.. that wasn't always so true before. My Texas Special is only a couple years old, and it really just has 3 usable tones, to me.

anyway, a great little ax ... now someone just kick me in the butt and make me go play!

Peace,
                              G
                              "music heals"
                              facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X