Something for uni... Pandora vs V-Amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for uni... Pandora vs V-Amp

In september i will hopefully be going to uni (exam results dependant) and i would be living in student halls so my life of blasting out the windows during my own practise would be over.

I need something that would allow me to use headphones with and would give a variety of sounds and possibly effects. If i get a band together i would probably use the device i get possibly aswell. Through some limited research ive come up with 2 choices

1. Korg Pandora PX4
    2. Behringer V-Amp
    3. Another

I can get the Pandora for about £130ish and i have seen the V-amp for £80. The main advantage of the pandora seems to be the drum and bass jamming feature (don't know how good it is). The V-amp seems more usable for band jamming and possibly live situations.

Does anybody here have experience and opinions on those 2, and/or any other suggestions? Or any tips for this situation?

Thanks alot
    Jeff

Re: Something for uni... Pandora vs V-Amp

for the price the v-amp is hard to beat, and the sounds you can get out of it are pretty good. I havent used the korg, but the thing i dont like about it is how small it is
    '05 Gibson SG Standard
    '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
    PRS IRW McCarty
    '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
    82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

A friend of mine gets some incredible tones out of the V-Amp Pro (rackmount). I've used the V-Amp 2, and couldn't really find anything bad to say. I used to own the original Korg Pandora, and will say that its awesome for personal use. For live usage, its completely useless. Sounds good through headphones, but HORRIBLE through an amp. I guess it really wasn't designed for that, though.

I'd probably go with the V-Amp, because it comes with a gig bag & footswitch for an unbeatable price.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Im not too bothered about size, as long as it is not fiddly. But yeah the V-Amp has me almost sold, but the Pandora has things like the drums etc for jamming which APPEARS useful. i intend to give it a go sometime. Any others?

Comment

I'm saving for a four-track Pandora for practicing with. The jamming and the ability to record my practice sessions are what sold it to me.

If you just want something to play with that'll sound good both with headphones and amplified, you should look into a POD.
          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

PODs run a little more $$, but you can get them dirt cheap off ebay. Again, had a POD 2.0, and its another piece of gear I wish I'd kept.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Yea i thought about PODs but they're quite a bit more expensive than the V-Amp. I question whether it is much better for the money. Never considered eBay. Never used it except when i got a friend to sell my old saxaphone on it. I find the idea of it quite daunting, and a mine field of financial traps! Dont really know it though.

Comment

Its hard to beat a Johnson J-Station for both headphone and amp use - if you don't mind going "used".

As for eBay, just open a PayPal account. Its simple.

I've never had a problem with either the Jay, the Bay, or the Pay.

Comment

I am going to suggest a Pandora PXR4 which is basically the PX4 but has the ability to record, playback and also send data to your pc (via USB) for downloading clips and songs etc. Whilst the PX4 is good, it can only be used for practicing and perhaps putting it through an amp.

Also consider the possibility of getting a Boss BR-864 digital recorder. I have just got one and it has a rhythm machine and also various effects (as well as USB). As I have only just got it today and still reading the manual it offers more facilities than the PXR4.

So why am I suggesting these? Consider these two possibilities:

1. Would you want to capture what you have done for another day and to be able to add to it etc?.
                  2. Would you like to be able to download music clips onto your pc and put them onto the web or burn them on CD's?

If you do then I think you should get at least the PXR4 or even the BR-864. I got mine incidentally of e-bay and you just need to keep your eyes open for them. Go and try them before you make a decision but you do have a couple of months.

(BTW - last week I say a PXR4 on e-bay for under £200).
                  Normans Guitars

Comment

Thanks alot guys. Im thinking about it more and im considering the options. I am swaying more towards the V-amp because of price, and at the moment i dont see myself recording much. As long as i can Jam along to CDs and make ok sounds thats fine by me.
                    Thank you all
                    Jeff

Comment

I used my practice amp at uni - I found at uni that with all the stereos I could hear blaring away in halls, my practice amp was unlikely to p!ss anyone off

Seriously, in my final year the uni decided to build a new building next to halls during the exam period (great idea eh? If they'd waited all of 4 weeks they could have done it over the summer holiday instead ), they also had plumbers churning up the path outside, so that lot woke me up early during the week. Then at night some tosser kept parking outside at 3 am with his bhangra music blaring out of his car, which kept me up late at night.

During the evenings, someone somewhere in halls was learning to play bagpipes, and was obviously enthusiastic about his practice routine.

Then at the weekends, the uni kept letting some bloody brass band play, so no sleeping in there

A practice amp won't hurt anyone; your flatmates can always ask you to turn down if it's bothering them, and a lot of them will take headphones if you need to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                        I used my practice amp at uni - I found at uni that with all the stereos I could hear blaring away in halls, my practice amp was unlikely to p!ss anyone off

Seriously, in my final year the uni decided to build a new building next to halls during the exam period (great idea eh? If they'd waited all of 4 weeks they could have done it over the summer holiday instead ), they also had plumbers churning up the path outside, so that lot woke me up early during the week. Then at night some tosser kept parking outside at 3 am with his bhangra music blaring out of his car, which kept me up late at night.

During the evenings, someone somewhere in halls was learning to play bagpipes, and was obviously enthusiastic about his practice routine.

Then at the weekends, the uni kept letting some bloody brass band play, so no sleeping in there

A practice amp won't hurt anyone; your flatmates can always ask you to turn down if it's bothering them, and a lot of them will take headphones if you need to use them.
                        Out of interest which uni did you go to? My amp at home is a 50watt Solid State Marshall and would be a b**ch to lug around so ill get a V-amp i think. At £80 is about as much as a half decent practise amp. If band stuff comes up ill bring up the marshall and the V-amp would be good then for effects use (though am not a huge effects person). If stereos are blaring etc where i go (b'ham or liverpool fingers crossed!) then ill take Humphrey Bear's Framus option

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wolf
                          Out of interest which uni did you go to? My amp at home is a 50watt Solid State Marshall and would be a b**ch to lug around so ill get a V-amp i think. At £80 is about as much as a half decent practise amp. If band stuff comes up ill bring up the marshall and the V-amp would be good then for effects use (though am not a huge effects person). If stereos are blaring etc where i go (b'ham or liverpool fingers crossed!) then ill take Humphrey Bear's Framus option
                          I went to Aston University in Birmingham.

Something that may be worth checking out is if they have a practice room at the uni - there was one in the students' guild at aston which had some gear in it.

Yeah, bigger amps can be a pain to lug around - I bought one of this piddly little battery-powered Marshalls recently. It fits in the front of my gig bag, so I can just take the one bag with me if I'm going somewhere and can't bear to be away from my guitars

Comment

I was in first year at Nottingham Uni this year and took my Marshall DSL 201 - too loud to enjoy at uni, so i've just bought a V-amp 2 to take back with me for 2nd year and its SO good - perfect for what you're looking for

Comment

V amp's sound great for the money.
                              POD's do sound better IMO but they cost a lot more and tbh, if you're not recording much then who cares.
                              My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                              How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Working...
                              X