Replacement bridge for Epi LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement bridge for Epi LP

I'm looking into a replacement bridge for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I read in a post here that TonePros are the way to go.
    Does anyone have any comments about the TonePro bridges, graphite bridge saddles, or certain TonePro bridge model that works best with this guitar I have?

Thanks,
    Bob

Re: Replacement bridge for Epi LP

Tone Pros locking bridge for imports

Most Korean Epi's have the large studs so this should do it. Try a dealer rather than WD you'll get a better price. Graphite saddles change the tone too much for me, teflon and a good setup work wonders.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I ruined a Tonepros bridge by putting those damned Graphtech saddles in it... Don't bother, it's not worth it, unless you have a trem.

Comment

I'll know shortly, I just picked one up for my Hamer. Graphite saddles are nice if you have problems with string breakage, or if you have tuning problems due to the strings binding at the nut. Some people say that there is a noticeable change in tone, but I just don't hear any significant difference. The real advantage of Tonepros bridges is the fact that you can remove all the strings without having the bridge fall off. The solid coupling makes your action and intonation settings more accurate as well. They aren't cheap though, a Tuneomatic set runs $115. They recently started offering them with Graphtech saddles pre-installed, so that might be something to consider. Some say there's a huge difference in tone and sustain with Tonepros bridges, others say they have no effect. If you're handy with tools or know someone who is, you can convert any TOM bridge into a locking bridge by drilling allen screw holes into both sides of the bridge and tailpiece.

Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I love my tonepros bridge, and I definitely think it was worth the cash. The only advice I have that hasn't been said is to order the one without the slots, then have a good tech cut the slots for you. You'll be less likely to have string breakage, and the slots will line up perfectly with the polepieces of your bridge pickup. Good luck!
          "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Sounds like I'm gonna stay away from the graphite saddles. Thanks for filling me in on that issue, guys!
            About the bridge:
            In your opinions, did you notice a difference in tone or sustain after swapping the stock bridge for the TonePro replacement? Ryan's putting TonePro's in his Hamer....what about you, Wattage? Ever use 'em?
            Does it make that much of a difference to replace the tailpiece, other than the fact that it it will slide off with no strings against it?

Comment

I haven't really noticed a big difference in sustain in either of my tonepros guitars (one came with it from factory so I don't have anything to compare to). If there is a difference, it's not a "night and day" sort of thing, it is subtle. But I did get a tonepros aluminum (vintage style) bridge for my new heritage and it locks down nicely. Just based on the "damn my tailpeice just came of and dinged the crap out of my nice top" factor I would recommend one if you can afford it.
              Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Come to think of it, my Schecter C-1 Classic has a TonePro bridge on it. No tail-piece as the guitar has a neck/string-thru body. It's a great sounding guitar.
                I've been exploring the final avenues of upgrade for this Epi LP of mine....I've done everything else to it but address that area, and am not convinced that I really need to anything yet. I don't break strings on it very often, if at all. But even with locking tuners it tends to slightly wander out of tune once in awhile. Mainly the G string. But I've been using cheap strings on it from stringthis.com for about the last 3 or 4 sets, too, and that could be part of the problem.
                I'm going to restring it with some D'Addario's I just bought and see how those work.

Better accuracy in adjusting the bridge and a tailpiece that locks onto the studs would be nice plus's, though. I appreciate the info you guys have thrown my way.
                Thanks,
                Bob

Comment

I did use a TP same one I posted, though I think I had to cut the slots on mine. It made a difference certainly. The guitar sustained better and the guitar had a bit more chime and chunk. Puckboy will have the guitar that it is on shortl. He got it from butnut so you might ask his opinion as well though he didn't hear the guitar without the TP bridge. The stock Epi bridges/tails are not made from the best metals I am sure, the Gotoh's that Tonepros start with are a nice step up and then add the locking in and it's a nice package
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I'm going to install mine within the next few days, so we'll see what happens. I'm not sure what to do about the saddles, I've read in several places that it's very easy to ruin the bridge while changing saddles if you're not careful. When I bought the guitar, it already had Graphtech saddles on it, so I thought about putting them on the Tonepros replacement. I've heard great things about their customer service, but the email I sent to customer service last week has gone unanswered so far.

Ryan
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

ive installed a few tone pros bridges on various guitars and they are a nice upgrade. the fact that they stay put is great but i really liked the tone from the new light weight tailpiece. a little more note definition

Comment

Working...
                      X