TonePros Hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TonePros Hardware?

I was checking over StewMac for some Tuneomatic bridges for my latest Warmoth project, and I came across TonePros Locking bridges and stop tails. They generall ran about $30 more than other non-locking bridges, and (according to the description) are supposed to "improve sustain and tone"... are they worth the extra $$$?

-alex
    -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
    I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

That really depends on who you'd ask. I'd say no, but i know people who swear by the things.
    Teenagers can't sing the Blues. They ain't fixin' to die yet. Adults sing the Blues. In Blues, "adulthood" means being old enough to get the electric chair if you shoot a man in Memphis.

Comment

They're absolutely worth the money, if you have the extra dough!

don't forget to figure in the added cost of cutting the grooves in the saddles and installation, if you can't do that yourself.
      It's trickier than it looks, especially filing the grooves.

I got sick and tired of the PRS McCarty stoptail piece on my
      teal black McCarty. They designed it to intonate with 9's or 10's
      in standard tuning, ONLY. I use 11's, tuned down a halfstep w/
      a dropped low E, on that guitar, so I HAD to get an adjustable
      tailpiece, or the guitar wouldn't intonate perfectly.

I love it. Now, the guitar intonates perfectly w/no sour notes anywhere! Also the sustain and boldness of notes got much better. The only negative, besides the price, was a little bit of added brightness. All I can say is that my McCarty with Tonepros
      and zebra C-5/59 is one of the best sounding guitars I have.
      That combination has elevated my PRS to the level of a Gibson, tonally.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I don't know about the PRS version, but the Les Paul style tune-o-matic and stoptail is nothing more than a $15 Gotoh with Allen screws drilled into it to hold it in place (look at one, they actually are stamped "Gotoh" on the bottoms). IMO the claimed sustain is not noticeable. They are convenient for changing strings so your bridge doesn't scratch the finish by falling, but overall I don't think the cost is justified.

Comment

I like em

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
            I don't know about the PRS version, but the Les Paul style tune-o-matic and stoptail is nothing more than a $15 Gotoh with Allen screws drilled into it to hold it in place (look at one, they actually are stamped "Gotoh" on the bottoms). IMO the claimed sustain is not noticeable. They are convenient for changing strings so your bridge doesn't scratch the finish by falling, but overall I don't think the cost is justified.
            I tend to agree with you on the Les Paul Tonepros.
            Any advantage is not worth the extra cost IMO.
            On the PRS stoptail, it's definitely worth it to have
            the adjustable intonation, but LP tailpieces are just fine
            as they are.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I've got a Tonepro bridge and I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by TattooedCarrot
                That's one thing I was thinking would be cool, the bridge not falling out. Seems like it may make restringing less of a hassle.
                -Alex

I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

I installed Tone Pros on both the SG and Schecter. As pointed out, the convenience with regard to string changes is worth the cash over the long haul to me. I did notice a slight increase in sustain.
                  PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                  PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                  GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                  Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                  Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                  various pedals

Comment

After having both types I must say I prefer the Tone Pro's bridges. It's a little more money, but worth it. I like the lockdown feature so I don't have to worry about it dinging my finish. My only disapointment is that it is tarnishing where I rest my hand. I've not had that happen before and I haven't had it all that long. It may be a fluke.
                    My Sound Clips

Comment

FWIW - you can save some $$$ by buying Tone Pros products from:

Black Rose Customs
                      or
                      Lew's Guitars

Chip
                      Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
                      Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
                      Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
                      SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
                      SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
                      "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

I'd say it's worth the extra cash for holding the bridge/tailpiece at the desired height alone! It's so annoying having to re-adjust the bridge after you've touched the screws while re-stringing. As for the tone, I can't notice any difference without ABing them.

PS. There's also a little more saddle travel than on the standard ABR etc., so for heavy string gauges you can actually get the correct intonation!
                        Gibson Les Paul w/ Seths. Strung with EB 12's
                        Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI
                        Arbiter Fuzz Face, Fulltone Fatboost, Crybaby, Voce Spin II

Comment

I really like mine...

Comment

not only that, but the TonePros folks are 150% behind their product. They bent over backwards to help me with my PRS. They customized a bridge just for me, and sent me out several sets of prototype studs to see which best worked for my PRS. I have never had any company care about me that much! That's the sort of business practice that will beat Guitar Center! And their products seem great to me. their TOM bridge and tailpeice will stay on when you change strings. Does it really improve tone? Maybe, but it certainly keeps guitars better setup.
                            Fender Twin w/ Weber Speakers, keeley ts-9, RMC2 wah, EB MusicMan Axis Sport w/ p-90's, Heritage Les Paul (HC150) Custom Order w/ AIIpro/Custom shop bridge, various accoustics

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
                              My only disapointment is that it is tarnishing where I rest my hand. I've not had that happen before and I haven't had it all that long. It may be a fluke.
                              Do you have gold TonePros or nickel?
                              -Alex

Comment

Working...
                              X