Should I get a dsl 201 or 401?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get a dsl 201 or 401?

I've heard of heat issues with the 401 but I do like the boost feature for lead playing. Will the 401 distort at low volume levels? Mostly for hobby at home use. Thanks.
    Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Well if its only gonna be a hobby for home use then id say the dsl20 but if your gonna be paling anywhere the 40 might be better.....do you mean distort as in wanted or unwanted distortion.....unwanted like high volume clean channel or wanted as in low volume on the od channel..?

i only speak from experiecne with the DSL 50 and 100 but the DSSL line is great ...
    Marshall JVM 410C
    Mesa Boogie DC-3
    ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
    1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
    2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
    2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
    1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
    2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
    1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

I WANT distortion at low levels. Also will the 201 get above a drum set? My son plays drums and we jam along in the garage.
      Seymour Duncans I've owned: Dimebucker, '59n, '59b, PG+n, JB, Phat Cat, PGn, Custom, Seth Lover, '78.

Comment

The 201's look cool as a practice amp, but I doubt 2 EL-84's would have enough oomph for jamming with drums.
        I wonder why they discontinued those?

I'd probably opt for the 401
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yeah I think the 401 would be fine for the purposes you have in mind. When you play with the drums, you'll start getting those tubes cooking, so you may have to plug in a fan behind it to cool it off. The DSL50 rocks, so the 401 should be a pretty awesome combo if it sounds anything like the DSL50
          Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 Head!
          Avatar 4x12 Slant Cab w/ 2 V12's and 2 GB12's
          Schecter 006 Elite w/ Duncan Custom
          Fender Std. Strat w/ Invader

Comment

Yeh id opt for the DSL 401 ..................
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

20w will keep up with drums fine but the dsl201 doesnt do loud clean. if clean headroom is what ya want then the 401 is the way to go

Comment

i agree, 20 watts will get over drums. my 30 watt amp gets over drums at only 6
                esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                fender mim standard strat
                peavey classic 30
                johnson j-station
                original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                yamaha f-310p acoustic
                taylor 410 acoustic
                "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Xerxes, how do you like that Peavey Classic 30? I saw it in MF's catalog and it seems like a good deal.

Comment

imo, best amp for the $$. i can get terrific old school clean, nice bluesy overdriven, classic rock distortion, present rock sounds, and with a pedal in front this thing really screams metal if you want it to. best all around amp ive personally ever tried for this price range. can mod the piss out of it as well if thats what your into. pedals sound great through it as well.

deffinately try this amp out. there is a 2X12 50 watt model, but the 30 gets plenty loud. i can get over drumms easily and great to gig with......

ill try to get clips up soon, but its not looking good without a recording devise. sorry. if you gots any more questions about it, feel free to ask.
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Xerxes, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm kinda thinkin' if I'm lookin' at $400-$500 used on ebay for a dsl combo, maybe I'd be better off getting something new like the Peavey for the same price and reduce my risk.

Comment

deffinately. even though some people prefer a worn in amp. but the classic, imo, blows away the marshall here.
                        peavey classic 30
                        johnson j-station
                        yamaha f-310p acoustic
                        taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

Working...
                        X